Epic Loot Dice Rolls

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
IKoI

Epic Loot Dice Rolls

Post by IKoI »

Did raising the roll % for better chance to get Epic's help or harm? Was flooding the Market worth it? Or was it always a way to balance scales? Or a way to take power away from PC Merchants? Should it continue?
Imperial Knight of Ireland
E'Milliah Emberwatch follower of Helm the Vigilant One
Milly can run the Mino Maze in under 12 Parsecs
Dunecat

Re: Epic Loot Dice Rolls

Post by Dunecat »

While I, personally, never enjoyed merchant RP, % change probably did more harm than good.
TheMadMage

Post by TheMadMage »

I think the loot being more accessible was good when we had a 40+ person playerbase after EE. It has its issues, but mystra tomes going for 20mil was also crazy when we had tons of people trying to get a viable build with gear. That being said, with the small playerbase we have now, the loot is so saturated it’s very hard to merchant in a way that actually makes gold.
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

IMO Epics were always attainable. Old school option was grinding and getting coin to pay for them. Or Trading, or finding a benefactor. Over time plenty of Dm's ran events and would offer epics as rewards like candy. Dream Coins thru the Djinn can snag you any Epic of choice. Pc's can hook up other folk's toons with Epic's at their own accord. Keep cup caking and in the end, we all lose.
Amarice-Elaraliel

Post by Amarice-Elaraliel »

I feel 25% too much a leap.

I suggested to try for 10% or 15% first but was outvoted on that.
TheMadMage

Post by TheMadMage »

Maybe the 10%-15% would work better. I don’t think the glory days of PC merchanting were pre-loot changes. There were only a couple PC merchants at that time, and they charged 5-10mil for most items. Switching it back would benefit only those of us with bags upon bags full of epics. I would say prime merchanting was right around the time of the changes, because multiple PCs could compete on prices but prices weren’t so low that it didn’t seem worth it. The issue is a shrunk playerbase means we are just too epic saturated.
Lord-Jyssev

Post by Lord-Jyssev »

I think the original rationale for 25% was in part due to there being too many epics on the loot table; many of them quite niche. We have an approved proposal around making epic loot be a high level component drop instead, allowing you to choose which item to craft from it from certain categories (iouns, weapons, etc). Perhaps that might make sense to go hand-in-hand with a drop rate reduction?
Amarice-Elaraliel

If you have someone to script it. We are still waiting for 2-3 years now to have that in game vendor who exhcanges the ores. >.>
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

TheMadMage wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:59 pm Maybe the 10%-15% would work better.
I agree, that would be a good compromise.
Frozen-ass

Post by Frozen-ass »

with the loot % think we first now need to see how the market is effected by lack of direct portals before messing with that part.

however as a self made ig multi millionaire with the 25%, i can safely say its not impossible to make money with it. I think the bigger hit to player market is the removal of the donation rules.
That said, what also currently makes player merchanting harder is simply the lack of new players, and whatever % wont change that gap sadly.
ZoltanTheRed

Post by ZoltanTheRed »

Hey hey. This was a monster of my making. I'm the one who initiated the push to change the loot rolls. I'm honestly not happy with where it ended up. Next to the defender biteback damage being overtuned to all hell, I'd say this is probably one of my bigger regrets. I'd definitely like to see epic loot revitalized in some fashion or another, but I'm not super involved as of late so it'd probably be inappropriate for me to speculate on what that might look like at the moment!

Just thought I'd post and say, "I'm sorry :("
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

ZoltanTheRed wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:51 am Hey hey. This was a monster of my making. I'm the one who initiated the push to change the loot rolls. I'm honestly not happy with where it ended up. Next to the defender biteback damage being overtuned to all hell, I'd say this is probably one of my bigger regrets. I'd definitely like to see epic loot revitalized in some fashion or another, but I'm not super involved as of late so it'd probably be inappropriate for me to speculate on what that might look like at the moment!

Just thought I'd post and say, "I'm sorry :("
This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Milly Banning Corrick Vostryl from her shop would it? lol :)
Amarice-Elaraliel

It was a try and it didn’t pan out as hoped. Now we know! Nothing to be sorry about. When new stuff gets done there always is a chance it needs to be tweaked, which is normal. This is just one of those things that need tweaking. It shouldn’t let us stop from trying new stuff. And sometimes it will be perfect from the start and oftentimes not, and then we learn and tweak it until it fits. :)
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:53 am It was a try and it didn’t pan out as hoped. Now we know! Nothing to be sorry about. When new stuff gets done there always is a chance it needs to be tweaked, which is normal. This is just one of those things that need tweaking. It shouldn’t let us stop from trying new stuff. And sometimes it will be perfect from the start and oftentimes not, and then we learn and tweak it until it fits. :)
IMO It should not have taken 2 and a half years to figure out a mistake was made and not be fixed. *Shrugs* Is what it is. And in truth, I dig and applaud Zolten for taking accountability, mad props Homie! I wish more folks would, it goes a long way with building trust. :)
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

Curious as to when can we expect a change to be made?
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

*Cricket sounds*
Amarice-Elaraliel

I opened a staff discussion for number crunching with a proposal.
Frozen-ass

Post by Frozen-ass »

we have come to a conclusion and will announce this soon
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

Frozen-ass wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:33 am we have come to a conclusion and will announce this soon
This get put on hold?
Amarice-Elaraliel

Well it’s on the list. We right now have exactly one active dev. So more of a Natural hold as that one soul is working down the list.
GreatPigeon

Post by GreatPigeon »

Any changes? 3 month curiosity.
GreatPigeon

Post by GreatPigeon »

I personally like it. It lets people try new things. Its more fun for more people. Utilitarianism wins. Reducing the win rate only helps 'merchant rps'. It gives people late game grind repeat-y stuff but that was never fun. Unless we went to merchant + job system for epic stuff and have component I am strong against making it harder for people to obtain things. All this does is give those here longer more power and control over others. As a dying server that's the last thing I want to see.
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Epic loot rolls are now set to 5% base + 5% per PC party member, capped at 50% with a 10-PC party.
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Cromlech - Protector of Ostland and Wanted Criminal
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
Opustus

Post by Opustus »

Does it check for party members in the same area or party members server wide? As far as I know, the spawn size is still based on the party member count server wide. :D
Maverick00053

Post by Maverick00053 »

Same area. We do need to fix that spawn size code.
The Monkey King

Post by The Monkey King »

Does this new formula apply to the Super Epic Dungeons? The ones that take 10+ Party to defeat? Frosty, Lich's...Ect...?
Last edited by The Monkey King on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey see Monkey Do
Amarice-Elaraliel

No, those are different and have their own system.
The Monkey King

Post by The Monkey King »

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:16 am No, those are different and have their own system.
Thanks for the quick response. :)
Monkey see Monkey Do