Overarching Server Story

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
Jes
I like dragons.

Overarching Server Story

Post by Jes »

Hi, there!

This thread is about discussing the installation of an overarching server-wide plot - whether the players want one and what it could be.

When you look at Amia's server description, there's no real indication that there's a story to be had. And it's the same in-game. What is going on? What's the actual story? Is there even any narrative at all?

I'd like to open the floor to players to talk about ideas for what a story could be, or arguments for why we should or shouldn't have an overarching plot. I have tried a few times in the past to get one going, but the team hasn't been terribly receptive to them previously. That's why I think it's important to get player feedback, so we can either ditch the attempt to make a server-wide narrative or put more focus on one.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on the matter!
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Cromlech - Protector of Ostland and Wanted Criminal
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
chefwudan

Re: Overarching Server Story

Post by chefwudan »

My thought was some multiverse tears where Towns, Cities, Kingdoms, phase in and out of the material plane creating random versions of themselves from the different planes. To help the Devs could just use a mist be a way to discern the change. Or if you really want can make them based of a plane. Magic, shadow, elements, etc.

I had just finished Rime of the Frostmaiden and maybe in a similar fashion Auril or whomever can curse the lands creating an unnatural cursed magical winter. We'd have to convince Elsa to end the winter (kidding) but seriously... something to that effect.
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

A server I used to play on had a "world quest". You could start it at any level, because some of the pieces of it could be found in lower level areas. You had to collect the pieces, make sure they were the RIGHT pieces, then put them together to make something that was a key to the hardest area on the server. This was a slow leveling server, a lvl 40 server, so something like that would have to be approached a little bit differently here. You could spend a year on a character, and it not get much beyond lvl 30. And you could spend as long or longer doing that quest. I don't know if such a thing would be of interest. Just throwing that out there.
The bag of felt holds the jewels of fate.
walnutboy

Post by walnutboy »

Jes wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:01 pm Hi, there!

This thread is about discussing the installation of an overarching server-wide plot - whether the players want one and what it could be.

When you look at Amia's server description, there's no real indication that there's a story to be had. And it's the same in-game. What is going on? What's the actual story? Is there even any narrative at all?

I'd like to open the floor to players to talk about ideas for what a story could be, or arguments for why we should or shouldn't have an overarching plot. I have tried a few times in the past to get one going, but the team hasn't been terribly receptive to them previously. That's why I think it's important to get player feedback, so we can either ditch the attempt to make a server-wide narrative or put more focus on one.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on the matter!
Do you mean a DM run plot or a quest built into the server as some have already thought?
If it's raining, look for Rainbows.
If it's dark, look for stars!
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

If I am understanding Jes correctly, she is asking to change the "concept" of Amia to one more story driven. Amia has been a sandbox for it's entire existence with various serverwide plots that came and went, sometimes connected, sometimes not. Nothing wrong with that at all. It does lend itself to a server that can appeal to many people and many types of character tropes since it's ever changing.

On the other hand... player count is dwindling, despite there being LOTS of NWN players out there. Why? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything of the sort, instead, trying to look at ways to bring players to Amia and get them to stay.

An overall "theme" if you will for Amia might have some draw, though any overarching theme will also have limitations. I'm not for or against the concept as I've not given it a lot of thought. I will say though that it should be generalized in some way so the appeal can last through DM team members, Developers and players. I'm sure I am not alone in having dozens (okay hundreds) of characters to my credit over my nearly two decades of play here. Why do I keep returning? (sometimes I wonder myself!), but what keeps me returning is a simpler levelling system, interesting races and classes, customization of items, characters, etc. Things like that keep me interested.

I played on other servers too. Avlis, which had it's own homebrewed deities and lore, Hala, which was more or less Valhalla, so it had an overarching "theme", Prisoners of the Mist, which... though it has a theme, I feel is just punishing to actually play on, and Arelith, which... IMHO, needs some DM interaction. I know that's not their way, but that's why it's my opinion and why I prefer Amia. DM's here make the world alive. So, if there was a theme to it all, I think so long as the theme was general enough, it could work.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

so the server can "run" itself if you set up a system which encourages players to interact with the world. i believe, to a degree, that this system is in place however people don't do shit other than sit in the cringe wave and serpent and new players are really turned off by that. the reality is, no one wants to play here. reasons i get are A) server feels uninspired. B) server has left such a long lasting negative experience that they never will play again and C) players cannot do shit.

because the pop is getting lower you could instead of forcing people to find factions, instead take a more natural approach and allow for single player projects that in turn may attract people. right now you need to engage players and just see what sticks, you have a server which is in a stage of reconstruction that players have difficulty interacting with naturally, which puts all the ideas for things on the DM side of the table, which frusterates players and makes them not want to be here. i'd also suggest have a large amount of dms running small events in settlements with no players involved to try to hook people in and get things running more naturally for a more player driven server rather than a DM driven server.
Pinkhaml86

Post by Pinkhaml86 »

I'd honestly like to see some player run conflict. Faction vs faction type stuff. And the rp around that gaining friends from denezines. Allying with giants, orcs, beholder, undead, elves....just all the monster races.

I've played on a few servers over the years, dm on a couple other than amia aswell. But one of the most fun I had was actually on a Dragonlance server, it was a large server with definitive sides, factions. It was an rp pw with a sprinkle of pvp. There was this one place that if your faction held it (hold the keep?) Members of that faction would get gold and a special currency over time that could be used on special characters and similar things. Yes it sounds not very rp oriented, but that initial keep opened up so many other rp situations, kidnappings, invasions, political dealings and exploits, assassinations, even some marriages to unify factions. It was alot of fun honestly. And it was probably 80% dm hands off.

All I'm saying is that there needs to be more conflict and altercation besides every player on the server vs some demon, God, foreign threats.

It might not be for everyone, but not everyone has to be involved. Don't like pvp? Don't get into the fights, plenty of other evils about that need smashing.
Tempest Rayne - "a'lil 'ide an'seek luv?"
Dunecat

Post by Dunecat »

There are a few things that can be done. Perhaps most pertinent would be making the world more alive - which, I believe, can be achieved by treating each sufficiently large (such as a settlement or an influential order, in example) group of NPCs as a subject, rather than object. Determine their goals - sometimes not only conflicting, but even self-conflicting - and occasionally (speed is less important here than consistency) update their progress in achieving (or failing to achieve) those goals with bits of news and small events. If / when players will start getting involved into affairs of any particular "NPC group" (group A), focus additional DM-attention on that (those) "groups" - and a couple of "groups" interacting with the "group A". Optionally, focus more on a "group B", with a number of conflicting interests to group "A".

After a time, when both DMs and players are reasonably accustomed to practice - it may be possible to add more "overarching" events and plots, with different width of focus and length, in example - from local famine, through regional war resulting from a dynastic conflict, to polar ice rapidly melting under heat of a second sun.
Elyon

Post by Elyon »

I'm on the side of Amia needing a narrative/server wide story though general enough to involve others. I think it can be done without neglecting groups of players. As long as there's the ability to divide and conquer between settlements and groups of players, the server-wide story can be fragmented into focus so people have their fair share of attention. Though I understand it requires all DMs to be onboard and active on it.
Bag of Felt wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:40 pm A server I used to play on had a "world quest". You could start it at any level, because some of the pieces of it could be found in lower level areas. You had to collect the pieces, make sure they were the RIGHT pieces, then put them together to make something that was a key to the hardest area on the server. This was a slow leveling server, a lvl 40 server, so something like that would have to be approached a little bit differently here. You could spend a year on a character, and it not get much beyond lvl 30. And you could spend as long or longer doing that quest. I don't know if such a thing would be of interest. Just throwing that out there.
I actually like the idea of players collecting things because everyone can participate in it. The first thing that comes to mind is mythals because they are unique to the server and mobs drop them like crazy. Are mythals an over-abundant thing in the region that makes Amia an interesting place? It has the potential to create an overarching plot: why do PCs need to gather mythals? Are they something that can be used as a plot device to fight over/create conflict (in any form)? Does collecting mythals prevent or create an imminent threat? What happens when an x amount of mythals are collected? Does it motivate factions for their own agendas? What happens if a quota of collected mythals are not met? Etc etc.

It might be a good idea to think about what's 'unique' to Amia compared to other servers as a plot device if we're looking for a 'niche' to sell, like Ravenloft and other servers. Mythals are something I just spitballed.
Rosary Doodlekins - Hin Candy Witch
chefwudan

Post by chefwudan »

I would love to see player/faction vs player/faction, but to be blunt that won't happen when most players are involved in more than one faction. What happens if Drow attack Winya OR The Shrine. And if players are also staff... do they get accused of taking sides, favoritism, playing god?

Good has more control of Amia and the NPC guards for good are far greater than evil. PC vs PC is irrelevant when to create conflict NPCs have to be considered with any attack there are NPCs loitering (which is everywhere). Evil is not sustainable so therefore Conflict is not so long as it can be vanquished but not Good. Some factions are unkillable due too several variables as well.

I get not everyone likes or wants PvP, but what if a faction attacks a faction where many of its players don't want to engage in PvP? Are the aggressors told we dont consent and are gorced to not attack, Do they leave and allow the faction to fall or does everyone whine about PvP vs no PvP. There are lots of politics involved in faction vs faction conflict, so much so, most don't bother to get involved in it. Story Arc aside the rules might need some revisiting to create a more conflict centric world (if that's where it goes).
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

A topic that deserves some discussion and ideas, methinks.
---
Tempurian

Post by Tempurian »

First of all from marketing perspective the front page of Amia does not really promote the RP that is happening neither the story. The focus is on the mechanics which are displayed. While Amia does have interesting mechanics, considering it is more roleplaying oriented server, there could be a benefit had from an alluring story to lure people to see what is inside. The mechanics details are all over forums, discord and can even ask IG, I would not spend much attention on explaining them there but a mention that these custom features are available for experiencing.

What should be the arching story, don't make it so that a -insert here powerful creature- is attacking etc., instead those can be intertwined to the story if and when need be. While nothing new, a focus is needed to keep the story going. There needs to be player conflict and the issue partly is that most settlements are good and if you're evil, you're suddenly out. It seems very odd that we would have a settlement of goodly folk only. Elves make sense due to lore, but in general something needs to be done to tackle that part. If and when reading D&D books, most settlements have all evil, neutral and good factions trying to get the upper hand. There are NPC's with various agendas and trying to pursue their believes to the front. This should somehow need to be intertwined to Amia. While summoning undead and demons could be condemned, the matter of fact is that they are also a big part of what D&D is. There should be evil hordes able to rise and ruin a city if its defense fails and not be returned in a mere six months to a year back or so.

At the moment the good guys can remove evil toons out of roleplaying circles because they can rely on having enough numbers to deal with whatever comes at them. Perhaps it is time they should learn that even if an evil toon has questionable morales etc... They kind of need them around too.

Anyhow, this is what comes to my mind quickly. Interesting topic and looking forward to reading more ideas!
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

Elyon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:37 pm
I actually like the idea of players collecting things because everyone can participate in it. The first thing that comes to mind is mythals because they are unique to the server and mobs drop them like crazy. Are mythals an over-abundant thing in the region that makes Amia an interesting place? It has the potential to create an overarching plot: why do PCs need to gather mythals? Are they something that can be used as a plot device to fight over/create conflict (in any form)? Does collecting mythals prevent or create an imminent threat? What happens when an x amount of mythals are collected? Does it motivate factions for their own agendas? What happens if a quota of collected mythals are not met? Etc etc.

It might be a good idea to think about what's 'unique' to Amia compared to other servers as a plot device if we're looking for a 'niche' to sell, like Ravenloft and other servers. Mythals are something I just spitballed.
Not as unique as you think! We called them Shards, but they were mythal shards. They were of different colors, and you put them together to make a sword. But you had to have the right colors, and sometimes you had to go back to a place 3 or 4 times, because the colors might be wrong, or someone would leave a note (it usually was a clue, and was signed by different NPCs of the server.) In addition, you had to put them together in the right order, and if you traveled enough, you found the clues for that as well. It didn't matter if you could use the sword or not - once you had it in inventory, you and your party could go into that ultra hard super secret area.

If I were to translate that to this server, it might mean that the goblins have, somewhere in their cave, an extra spot that housed this special something. And then there might be something at the trolls, and the beastmen, in the oasis, in the frosts area...etc...you would have to find it to get it. That is what I mean by it being something any level could work on. And it wasn't just a hack and slash quest, you had to think to put it all together. And you didn't HAVE to do the world quest to enjoy the game, but it was something people worked toward, because they wanted to get to that exclusive area so they could die... walk all over the bones of their enemies.
charles1810

Post by charles1810 »

Setting up arching quests be simple enough just work. I've had intents on doing a Shaundakul quest line.

Quest 1: Go to Bramble Forest to this land mark.
You go there to a usable tree and make a note in a journal of what you see and the environment.

Go back and get next quest if you have Book part 1 to go onto the next adventure. Repeating the process a couple dozen times. Giving more indepth lore of the amia areas landscape and environment. Something that is quest outside of dm events but gives a lot of little lore n emerged feeling to the world.
chefwudan

Post by chefwudan »

I think the quests could be more fun if they were all like the Recall Stone, multi-tiered like that.
Elorathall

Post by Elorathall »

Oof. This is a discussion I've been pushing for a long time, so excuse me if I get a little excited.

I've previously made my suggestions, and they were admittedly radical. To abandon Amia proper, and be reborn with a much more defined concept. Perhaps Khem, with its pseudo-Egyptian setting, and narrative conflict between traditionalist Mylhorandi and Faeruhnian settlers. Or Rhuathym, for those that enjoy something more Witcher-flavored. But, of course, there is understandably a reluctance to abandon 20 years of assets and history. And besides, would leaving Amia behind solve our server's identity crisis? It struck me then, that the answer is in the question.

Allow me to paint a picture, of new and different Amia.

This Amia is not the uncharted frontier it once was. It is no longer a promised land for the brave and tenacious. It is no longer a place of challenge and trial, of people utterly confident in ultimate victory. It is no longer a place where the main concerns where monsters, fiends, and madmen. It is no longer a place of innocent adventure, and easy heroes and easy villainy.

This Amia is broken. Its people faced everything the multiverse could throw at them, but sacrificed too much. The land is suffused with melancholy, and uncertainty about tomorrow. And in their grief and anxiety, the people have abandoned their ideals - becoming what non before the Fall could ever imagine.

Those in Southport live a failed revolution. Once a vibrant, progressive and open realm, a marketplace of trade and ideas, and full of revolutionary fervor. They threw out the old Duke, determined to decide their own fate. The Fall broke the city, its optimism, and its youthful rebelliousness. They abandoned their utopian ideal of self-government, and propped up a king - grasping whatever anchor they could find. They abandoned freedom for security, and turned inwards. Meanwhile, the spirits of the old, drowned city call to those that remain. Jergal watches a dream end. Is Southport doomed to inevitable, fearful tyranny, the dream of self-rule forever buried with the sunken ruin of Cordor? Or can it recapture its old vigor, put old ideas into new form, and grasp its republican destiny in calloused - not broken - hands?

Kohlingen fell from heaven. Once, united as neighbors in high ideals, they boldly brought the Triad's light to the darkness, believing victory was inevitable. But those that survive are more pragmatic, and perhaps more cynical. They have yet to make sense of their new reality, and Torm has left them to find their own way. And so they blame. They blame those to the south for hosting evil. They blame the old court and the priests for their false promises and incompetence. They blame dragons and their Great Game. They blame the gods they once trusted. Most of all, they blame themselves - for their naivety, for believing they could change the world. They rebuild their lives, but their souls are those of scorned lovers - simultaneously desiring and rejecting what they once had, who they once were. In this spiritual turmoil, mages and merchants offer strength and purpose in the material. Will the Kohlingeners fall into realpolitik, cold pragmatism, and the easy promises of darker powers? Or will they rise above their pain, and become more noble and brilliant than ever before?

The remnant of Tarkuul doubt. Once, they knew. They knew how to do horrors, and wonders. They knew they were heirs to a great empire, and they knew they were destined for greatness. They knew it was inevitable, and they knew they were untouchable. Now, they know nothing at all. They have fallen from their high throne, to squat in a distant and forgotten corner. If the promise of immortality was a lie, what else is a lie? Are they doomed to never rise again - to merely exist in sedate squalor, chasing one pleasurable distraction after another to drown out the memory of what could have been? Or is their once iron will merely rusted, and Tark's legacy truly inevitable?

The elves of Winya Ravana debate the coming age, and their place in it. Have they suffered too much for the sins of not-People, turn inward to isolationism, and leave the Others to their deserved fates? Or did the Fall of human realms herald the Second Age of Winya Ravana - that the island may once again see the rightful and benevolent reign of the People?

Amia is a post-apocalyptic setting. Its people endure, but are suffering identity crisis. They have seen and experienced so much, leaving them to ask: "what are we to become now?" If the emotion behind that question feels more than a little meta: that's the point. It's not traditionally a plot, but it offers a vehicle to explore questions and challenges beyond the tangible, beyond the monsters and the magic. "Who will we be" can be the meta-narrative of Amia. And it'd be a damned rewarding one if handled well.
Login: OldManArchon
Playing: Aernoud, Kohlingen Exile
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Alright. So establish local settlement, factionwide and world goals that factions vie for. The local settlement goals allow players to engage with each settlement and gain favor through questing, faction goals could be server changing goals that if they achieve secures some reward or something and world goals could be the goals that factions fight over to secure faction dominance.
There could also be individual goals as well to help those who have trouble finding groups of friends to play with.
These goals could be discussed for each month with each player to help them along.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Also blowing up the setting isn't an option. A lot of players wouldn't like that.
chefwudan

Post by chefwudan »

I will say I think the best part about Amia is the custom content. The mechanics, classes, races, editable content all major pluses for Amia. Honestly blowing Amia up isn't the worst idea, and I'm saying that having like 40+ lvl 30 characters in my vault. The tools are in place to condense Amia while also adding more depth/color to the server. We as people are creatures of habit and most tend to not leave their safe bubble. A "New" Amia "could" inject some life into the stale RP that it currently is. I'm not sirting here on a pedestal saying this person sucks or that person messed things up. Just an honest observation on the State of Amia. That said. It's home to me in any variation at the end of the day. I've invested over 16+ years of my life here so I'm in it for the long haul.
Dunecat

Post by Dunecat »

Of ideas and suggestions presented so far, I like Elorathall's the most. In some respects it is already implemented - just not entirely acknowledged.
P.S.: Coronation of Adam Fairchild really should have been an event.
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Dunecat wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:01 am P.S.: Coronation of Adam Fairchild really should have been an event.
What's the message you're saying here by bringing up something that happened a year and a half ago that I only had to cancel and turn into a forum thing instead of an in game event because I was in physical pain for an extended period of time? Did you forget that I had to cancel because of RL and didn't want to keep pushing it back, or are you saying that it should have continued to be pushed back until I was better?

Just trying to understand this sudden remark.
---
Dunecat

Post by Dunecat »

Jes wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:16 pm
Dunecat wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:01 am P.S.: Coronation of Adam Fairchild really should have been an event.
What's the message you're saying here by bringing up something that happened a year and a half ago that I only had to cancel and turn into a forum thing instead of an in game event because I was in physical pain for an extended period of time? Did you forget that I had to cancel because of RL and didn't want to keep pushing it back, or are you saying that it should have continued to be pushed back until I was better?

Just trying to understand this sudden remark.
The message most definately is not that it should've been held despite RL circumstances preventing it. Rest assured that in circumstances you were in (which I did, in fact, forget - but that is besides the point) I would've advocated, as always in such circumstances, pushing it back - for as long as neccesary.

This remark refers to an event that marks transformation of the major, if not the premier settlement of Amia. Transformation along the lines described in Elorathall's post, and to an extent - in mine. I am further of opinion that events leading to that coronation also should've been Events, both involving interested players and offering an option to impact developent of that transformation. Up to a hypothetical change to a different course altogether, as opposed to taking entirely predetermined, uninteractible course.
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

I do very much regret being so ill at the time. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease the following month, even. And that led to a lull in my availability overall for months. I do remember asking if other DMs were able to do it for me, and they were not - just really bad timing during a slow point. So instead of waiting till October (which is when I eventually felt better enough to try again), I just really wanted to get the story started.

I agree that such things should be done in-game. More things overall should be done in-game. I truly want to see the settlements thrive - especially our major ones. Kingdoms of Cetha and Kohlingen, Moonpier, Winya, and Obsidian Island. I would like our focus to be on getting them to a more living state and then on their interactions and how they have to work together (or against one another) as they come out of the darkness that laid them all low and have to face new challenges.
---
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

I'm tired of seeing construction everywhere, ahhhhh!

Just had to get that out of my system.
---
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

thats what happens when you set up the server to be a construction but don't consider the fact many of the players don't want to engage in construction.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

and then there are the players who do want to engage in construction but can't because of a tyranny of the masses situation.
ZoltanTheRed

Post by ZoltanTheRed »

I personally believe that there need to be more spontaneous and spur of the moment things than there have been in the interim. A server story ought to have some mechanics to accompany it and most of it should be built out in advance of the story, which would require some work. When I look at the events page, it's all mainly faction meetings and stuff. Great if you're in the faction, not so great if you're not. Maybe DMs laying out blocks of time they'll be in game in addition to scheduled events could help.
charles1810

Post by charles1810 »

That is a good n fair idea. Just general times we likely plan to be about.
GreatPigeon

Post by GreatPigeon »

ZoltanTheRed wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:06 am I personally believe that there need to be more spontaneous and spur of the moment things than there have been in the interim. A server story ought to have some mechanics to accompany it and most of it should be built out in advance of the story, which would require some work. When I look at the events page, it's all mainly faction meetings and stuff. Great if you're in the faction, not so great if you're not. Maybe DMs laying out blocks of time they'll be in game in addition to scheduled events could help.
People are also in multiple factions with same PC or different. So if there every was conflict it would be odd
GreatPigeon

Post by GreatPigeon »

I personally don’t want yet another story where it’s all the good guys v one big baddy. We know the good guys will win. So what’s the point?

Id want some player agency to affect the world.

Since that’s not likely to change as soon. A story that actually lets evil win and take over a settlement and do bad things so not all surface settlements are led by good guys and driven to good things and team up. That might help.

Since none of those are ever likely to happen I’ll play your game.
I vote for all magic to suddenly stop. Maybe divine too. And magic items. You figure out why. That would be interesting.
Elorathall

Post by Elorathall »

GreatPigeon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:41 amI vote for all magic to suddenly stop. Maybe divine too. And magic items. You figure out why.
Elor addition: And a significant portion of the unmagical population likes this new status quo, and wants to keep it that way.

That would be interesting.
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Not keen on making a million characters completely useless, honestly. That's really just not going to happen.
---
Opustus

Post by Opustus »

There could be some wild and disturbing encroachment of antimagic zones to Amia that the players could investigate and different courses of action could either lead to their dispelling or permanence etc. so it wouldn't be an abrupt stoppage of all magic everywhere. (This said just to spitball and be charitable to others' suggestions.)
Elorathall

Post by Elorathall »

Before this gathers its own momentum, we should consider what the story we're ultimately exploring with this is. Would it remain a (fairly superficial) puzzle to solve? Or are we exploring the societal consequences of a magical world where magic is suddenly a lot less reliable and no longer a guarantee of success? Or is the change in the magical environment a symptom or analogue for something else?
Pinkhaml86

Post by Pinkhaml86 »

Can't gain momentum if it never starts moving.
Tempest Rayne - "a'lil 'ide an'seek luv?"
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

honestly you could add a temple system of epic level dungeons full of end game monsters, with each dungeon having a key to a final dungeon that provides the ultimate rewards at the end. this would solve the issue of purpose for epic gear grinding, give people who enjoy treasure hunts something to do and add a little depth to the server as well.
Syngorn

Post by Syngorn »

The Gentleman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:26 am honestly you could add a temple system of epic level dungeons full of end game monsters, with each dungeon having a key to a final dungeon that provides the ultimate rewards at the end. this would solve the issue of purpose for epic gear grinding, give people who enjoy treasure hunts something to do and add a little depth to the server as well.
I think this was what they tried doing with ye olde labyrinth, but nobody could be bothered going through it. 😂
Yasheira Ebonhand: Commander of the Obsidian Guard and Blackguard of Bane.

Syngorn#6394
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

You mean the one with low leveled monsters and a shit ton of traps?
solariuk

Post by solariuk »

Scrolling through this thread I don't get the negativity in some places... I've really enjoyed my return to Amia, especially after trying some other servers which, while very cleverly implemented, just feel like self-flagellation. *cough* POTM *cough*. This place strikes the right balance for me personally between RP and action. I think I just don't have the attention span to be hardcore these days.

I do think some story arc quests would be good though, and I mean stuff that isn't solo-able and requires a bit of teamwork. I know that sort of stuff takes a lot of work. I'd really like more cool dungeons with puzzles that need multiple people to complete - think pressure plates, colour mixing to answer a riddle with lights and stuff. Not overly cerebral but it'd create some fun RP opportunities.

The problem with puzzles though is they can become stale if they aren't procedural/random so people do them once or twice then leave them unless there's a reason like epic loot behind it.

Also, yeah, construction.... I've been thinking of creating a "builder" to try and help with that but have no idea who he would approach for work, maybe a notice will appear on a board sometime soon. I need to work on a concept really but I envisage him coming from a Waterdeep trades guild.
Characters:
Arno Grimberg
Walden Swift
Zachary Darksoul
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

solariuk wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 amThe problem with puzzles though is they can become stale if they aren't procedural/random so people do them once or twice then leave them unless there's a reason like epic loot behind it.
When the devs can come up for air, perhaps we can look into randomization. One of the reasons I am enjoying Mav's Big Game Hunter is that I don't know where I will pop out when I go in, or what will be waiting for me. Yes, I think that definitely makes it more fun, and definitely not grinding anymore. But honestly, Mav said that took a lot out of him. (That's because he did a good job adding a bizzillion things to face, and half a bizzillion little areas.)
solariuk wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 amAlso, yeah, construction.... I've been thinking of creating a "builder" to try and help with that but have no idea who he would approach for work, maybe a notice will appear on a board sometime soon. I need to work on a concept really but I envisage him coming from a Waterdeep trades guild.
You can always approach a foreman in the forums, even send a missive to the leader of an area. I like how Tempurian has set up his shop via the forums. And actually, he would probably be a good person to find IC via forums or in game.