Evidence: Kohlingen Trial, Aernoud & Council

Current DM plotlines and all other official in-game happenings.
Jes
I like dragons.

Evidence: Kohlingen Trial, Aernoud & Council

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #001

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #001 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

This affidavit is the sworn testimony of Zellani Simmons.

Related Witness Summons:
  • Corrick Vostryl, prospective Magister of the Kingdom of Kohlingen

Sworn Affidavit
Sworn before the clergy of the Triad, this document carries the whole truth as I know it to be so.

After the abdication of our King Gregory Simmons, whom I followed in kind so that I could tend to him in his failing health, I remained as observant of the happenings of the Kingdom as I could given the circumstances. In that time, Gregory fully supported the changes the Council made, and the appointment of Lord Walter Mortimer as Lord Protector. It was by his decree that they would serve in his stead. Some time later, we traveled to Tethyr on a lead regarding a potential cure for Gregory's ailment, but it proved useless. He died while abroad. James and I returned with his body so that we could put him to rest. I tried to reintegrate properly into court after this loss. I eventually became set to become Duchess of Fort Cystana, following some dealings with Lord Parmunster to secure it.

Throughout this time, Aernoud's relationship with the Council and Lord Protector suffered. Most who are involved in court became distinctly aware of this tension. There was little upon which they could agree and many meetings ended in arguments. During one session about thirteen months ago in Marpenoth last year, after we quelled the rebellion led by Vernon, Lord Mortimer was at his wits' end with Aernoud, suggesting that his inaction at first during the attack at the Construction Site by Vernon was the mark of a coward. Aernoud's response to his anger was to declare that he was done with the "Usurper" Mortimer. This was shocking to the rest of the Council, as a Duke of Kohlingen openly accusing the Lord Protector of usurpation is very serious. He further claimed that Lord Mortimer had threatened civil war if he was not given the Crown, and that that is why we made him Lord Protector. We of course know this to be false, because we and many outsiders were all present for the vote which placed Lord Mortimer as Lord Protector. Again, my husband had agreed to the appointment personally. There were no threats involved and this should have been treated at the time as a gravely damaging accusation, which could have had serious consequences on the trust of the people for the Lord Protector - and thus the stability of the Kingdom as a whole.

Eleven months ago, in Nightal of last year following another such meeting, I confronted Aernoud in the upstairs library in City Hall. I had apologized for being angry with him during the meeting that had recently ended, and he offered to clarify his critical stance against the Council. The words he spoke to me then I will never forget. He stated that it is because they "expect" to lead. That the decisions they make have great consequences, some of which are unforeseen. He then went on to say that his father died in the fall of the city, and that the Council did not. He stated that the people trusted them but the Council led them to their deaths. He further pointed out that the late Justicar Cystana understood that sentiment. She led, and "died with the people she failed." He stated that day that this is what makes a leader. That because the Council did not perish, they are unfit; that it was right for Justicar Cystana to die that day, and thus she was a suitable leader because she paid the price for "failing" the people.

I became very angry with him after this - and Lord Mortimer even challenged him to a duel over it, which Aernoud refused. The Late Justicar Cystana was a sister to me when I served at her side. I was devastated when I heard that she had fallen. But I never blamed those who lived for the actions of those wicked beings who caused the fall of the city. To use the dead as weapons against those who survived by their sacrifices is sacrilege. And Aernoud has continued this sentiment to this day, placing the blame for what happened in those dark days on the shoulders of those who survived - those who already carry the burden and guilt of survival. Everyone lost loved ones on that tragic day. But we have chosen to stand together as a single people under the light of the Triad, Bahamut, Siamorphe, and the other gods of Kohlingen to honor those men and women who gave everything. Aernoud has only sought to use our loss against us when it suits him. Just as he uses my husband's name only when it suits him.

Later that month, Gregory was returned to us by the Red Knight when upon the battlefield with the Wanderer at the Construction Site. That is when I withdrew as Duchess and Lord Laterius Parmunster became Duke of Fort Cystana in my stead, our previous dealings regarding the matter undone. By the Lord Protector's command, Gregory, James, and I traveled to Winya Ravana to rest and relax. To spend time with one another as a family reunited after a great loss. All was well for some months. Gregory was filled with joy and was the shining light he was before; James was happy and showered with the love of his mother and father rejoined; and I was enjoying peace at last. I maintained contact with the court and aided them with their paperwork now and then. I helped to draw up the rights and responsibilities of the Lord Protector, the Council, the Dukes, and the nobility, which stand now as our official legal documentation on the matter. Gregory fully supported this endeavor also. He was confident in the Council and Lord Protector, and their ability to carry on in his stead. Thus, it cannot be said that his decrees were withdrawn or unsupported by my late husband.

All of the above establishes that Aernoud has harbored excessive hostility toward the Council, the Lord Protector, and truly anyone else in a leadership position in Kohlingen for some time, a sentiment which Gregory himself did not share even whilst in his right mind. Aernoud would know that Gregory supported them if he had ever bothered to visit or even write to the liege he claims to honor with his actions, but it would appear that his great devotion only matters when his own interests are affected in his mind. Further, he has taken it upon himself to declare that the Council and Lord Protector are not lawful, and he has chosen not to acknowledge their authority to govern the kingdom on behalf of Gregory. Additionally, Aernoud has himself admitted to openly accusing me of being a Harper. He has attempted to incite anger and hatred in Harpers, as prominent politicians in Cordor did during the Arcanum War, and thus anger and hatred in me. This has actively created turmoil between Kohlingen and Cetha, as well as drawn the attention of assassins that are presumably followers of the Nightsinger, as they have previously struck at innocents in their efforts to hunt known Harpers. This carelessness has placed me, my son, and everyone else in the kingdom at great risk, which can clearly be seen by the harm these assassins have caused over the past weeks.

In addition to all of the above, Aernoud has declared that followers of Bahamut should all be held accountable for the transgressions of Barryan and Deepdesire, the two dragons who brought their armies of demons and shades to the city of Kohlingen. He has stated that the followers of Bahamut are to blame for the thousands of deaths which we suffered - stating that the war between followers of Tiamat and Bahamut will just bring calamity to our people again. He has failed to acknowledge that these two dragons served neither Bahamut nor Tiamat in their schemes, and he has also failed to acknowledge that the greatest enemy of that war, the Plane Render, was an Elder Evil from the Far Realms - which has nothing to do with dragons whatsoever. He is actively targeting a prominent religious group within our kingdom for the sole purpose of pushing his own political agenda, namely attempting to denounce and besmirch my name on his self-appointed crusade to stop me from becoming Queen.

The final incidents I wish to address are more recent. The documentation referred to here will also be submitted into evidence. On the seventh of Uktar this year, I had heard tell of an assassin who had attempted to harm Duke Van Brabant. Worried for the safety of the people, I sent ten Silver Dragons and the three Everguard I had previously promised to assist with the other troubles Greengarden faces. I sent with them a message to urge unity, trust, and peace. The Duke and his militia stopped them at the gate and turned their crossbows on them. Everguard Rowena read my message aloud for them all instead. Aernoud proceeded to turn away the aid I had sent. He stated that he would not be assisted by the Silver Dragons, for they could turn their blades on him. This made the Silver Dragons in attendance uncomfortable and Everguard Rowena decided to call all kingdom military personnel back to Fort Cystana for their safety. She also welcomed other citizens to join them on the journey back. Twenty-two total citizens of Greengarden accompanied the Silver Dragons who departed Greengarden alongside the Everguard.

On the twelfth of Uktar this year, I traveled to Greengarden with three citizens of the Duchy whom had answered the calls of the High Priests resurrection spells after being killed previously by more assassins in Greengarden. I had learned that these assassins had taken the identities of the fallen, and I wanted to hurry to Aernoud to warn him. The threat was ended, though not neutralized. Aernoud did not trust my words, and so the delay was too long to catch them before they could escape. Once everyone was settled and the walls again secure, Aernoud turned his anger on me once again. I spoke with him for some time alongside many other allies who also tried to help him see reason. He focused on my lineage, declaring that I had chosen war because I had become a disciple. To see a disciple on the throne would be to invite dragons to harm us again, he claimed. I countered this by stating that if dragons came again - or demons, or Amnish, or anyone else of foul intentions we have had to face before - it would not matter who (or what) was on the throne.

I tried to remind him that my place in Kohlingen did not come about because I am a disciple, but because of my actions, because of my heart and my mind. The people of Kohlingen are one people, and we must stand together as one - humans, elves, dwarves, hin, and all others who call our kingdom home. He refused to listen, and only reiterated his previous stance that followers of Bahamut are to blame for what happened in the city of Kohlingen. He also wanted to know what would happen to the people who didn't want me to be Queen, and I told him that there is no reason anything should happen to them. It will be impossible for every citizen of the kingdom to come to a full consensus on any matter, and so it is something that I will have to bear in mind as I go about considering the prospect of my ascension to the throne. At which point is it appropriate to act? How many voices must speak out regardless of my reassurances before I decline the position? This is a dilemma that will face any leader. Do you stop a campaign or a decree that you have already made simply because a handful of people disagree? Is their stance sound enough to sway you despite being a minority? These are things that have weighed on me while I consider the prospect that was presented to me. I told this to Aernoud, but he still refused to listen. He still claimed that I am trying to steal the throne from my son.

To be perfectly clear to all in this court, and as the gods know through the truth in my heart, I have never stated that I will become Queen, let alone that I would do so against the wishes of the people. I have only said that I would consider it if the people desired it of me. I have not made any claim of my own volition. I have not sought to force anyone else to accept the prospect, only to gently offer my own thoughts and stance on why I might be a good prospect to guard and stand on the throne for as long as it takes my son to come of age, that he may take the throne at the already appointed time. Aernoud continuously argues against this, but he will not be able to submit any proof that I have ever claimed otherwise. He has only his wild and unfounded accusations and assumptions. He has only his demands that I refuse the position, but also replace the Council and Lord Protector. He has only his own bitterness and the handful of innocent citizens in Greengarden whom he has maliciously coerced.

Following the altercation on the twelfth, as detailed above, a woman named Sythea had arrived to deliver a message to Aernoud. I departed at this time, but I received a report later in the day that Aernoud referred to the letter as potentially "something more" than platitudes from Wiltun. Corrick had been present to hear this and told him "Don't do it" in an effort to stop him from making deals or alliances with Wiltun. Aernoud replied by saying "Don't force me to." This is further evidence of a dangerous spiral to which Aernoud has seemingly succumbed. It is also a treacherous suggestion, a veiled threat to draw a foreign power into his conflict, with the potential for extremely dangerous ramifications for the innocent people of our kingdom. Whether it is true that Wiltun offered him anything, something I do not have the answer to, this way of addressing a concern from anyone regarding this conflict is unquestionably irresponsible and needlessly inflammatory. The people he is tasked to protect should not have to fear for their safety if a power like Wiltun were to even be mentioned with regard to this matter.

To close, it is not written in our laws that it would be unlawful to rescind my previous abdication, which had been done only due to the King's failing health, or to return to the throne on behalf of my son in the interim. Given I have majority support throughout the kingdom for the prospect, and that I have expressed no personal aims or goals beyond guarding the throne on behalf of my son until he can assume the throne, it is my belief that Aernoud has decided for himself that it would be unlawful simply because it is not specifically written that it would be lawful. Thus, this is little more than an unnecessary crusade that has been designed to cause harm to our kingdom for no reason than to suit his own ego, and has already had disastrous consequences and thrust innocent people under the gaze of extremely dangerous people. He began this crusade based on his own feelings, without any regard for the well-being of the kingdom or of the people he attacks with his words and manipulations. He continues his crusade based on his own feelings and ignores the greater kingdom as a whole. He cares only for his own beliefs, his own plot of land, his own conjured laws, and his own desire to maintain control over others.

In summary, and to finalize my sworn statement:
  1. That Aernoud has denounced through his own proclamations that the King's decree that the Council and Lord Protector will rule in the King's stead is treason against the Crown. That Aernoud continues to actively spread falsehoods about me and my intentions, whilst I am serving as Regent and direct representative of the Crown Prince, is treason against the Crown. That Aernoud ordered his militia to point their crossbows at the Everguard, representatives of the Crown Prince, is treason against the Crown. That Aernoud has incited racial and religious anger and hatred against me, the representative of the Crown Prince, within the hearts of the people is treason against the Crown. That Aernoud has directly placed myself and the Crown Prince in danger of being targeted by enemies of the Harpers is treason against the Crown. That Aernoud has made veiled threats to draw the attention of a powerful foreign entity to his side in this conflict is treason against the Crown.
  2. That Aernoud has used his denouncement of me to try to make me replace everyone on the Council as well as the Lord Protector, whom were so given the right to lead and make decisions for our Kingdom by King Gregory, is Usurpation against the Crown. That Aernoud has placed himself above the Council and Lord Protector and above the laws of this Kingdom is Usurpation against the Crown. That Aernoud has denounced any efforts to give a voice to the Crown Prince, for his own political benefit, is Usurpation against the Crown.
  3. That Aernoud has denounced the faith of Bahamut and targeted innocent followers by inciting hatred and anger against them is Blasphemy against the Gods of Kohlingen.
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Ailahra - Servant of Nature
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
Jes
I like dragons.

Re: Evidence: Kohlingen Trial, Aernoud & Council

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #002

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #002 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.
This submission indicates two separate incidents, divided by date, for which Aernoud Van Brabant was held accountable and punished through the justice system of the city of Kohlingen. Both incidents revolve around Mulhorandi citizens of Djedet who sought refuge in Kohlingen following the eruption of the volcano which contaminated the lands of the Mulhorandi people, poisoning it.

Related witness summons:
  • Glendil Fettian: Firsthand witness to the incidents as an official of Kohlingen
    Suten-rekh of Hathor: Firsthand witness to the incidents as a refugee, still living among us now ((this is an NPC not currently represented in the module))

File 1 is dated 20 Flamerule - 12 Eleasis 1383 DR. This entry indicates that Aernoud Van Brabant has a known history of targeted and vehement racial prejudice against other groups simply because they follow different gods. The parallel to the hatred he now professes toward innocent men and women who follow Bahamut simply because he does not approve of the god personally is apparent.

File 1

Lutra wrote:Attention everyone!

Some elements in the city seem to be harassing the Mulhorandi refugees, I have a strong suspiscion from the report I have received that one or more of the noble houses are involved.

Should you see a Cordorian noble harassing them please kindly remind them that they are guests in the city and due to their past doings our patience have limits. In the case of a Kohlinger noble, remind them of the laws regarding harassment and assault and act in accordance of the laws. Also remind them that some of the late first knights and other high officials of the city were also the chosen of the Ma'at and thus it is our duty to aid these people.

G
Elorathall wrote:How are we helping these people by keeping them here far from their land, instead of helping them rebuild their town?

- Aernoud
Lutra wrote:Sir Aermoud,

Their land is no longer fertile and their waters are poisoned thus rebuilding the town of Djedet appears to be an impossible task. Also, they are the allies of the city for almost half a decade now and fought alongside of our own and the city honors that fact. Furthermore they are proactive in providing aid to the local farmers and played significant part to upkeep the city's economy during the war and after the war.

They live under the protection of the laws of the theocracy and everyone should respect that fact.

G

666WaysToHell wrote:A majority of the Mulhorandi people returned to their homeland some time ago, while some remained behind to build a new life for themselves as citizens of the Holy City. I will also iterate that no person is above the law, man or woman, noble or common. Any incidents of harassment in any form will result in the aggressor being fined and possibly imprisoned for continued behaviour.

- Lady Knight Jacia Caerus

Elorathall wrote:
G,

We can see if their land can be made fertile again and the water purified. And besides, that's not the point. Especially in the last few years we have seen people from Cordor, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Tethyr and many other places come to live with us and they've all learned our ways and our gods just fine. I count most of them as good neighbors. But aside from a few exceptions, the Mulhorandi just don't fit in. Have you watched them at all? They're not nearly as useful as you think. Their farmers barely speak our tongue, and they don't know the land or the crops we grow. They don't know how to properly use our lumber. In winter they complain about the cold, in summer they complain about the humidity, and throughout they complain about the sea wind or the bog air.

They're more focused on the dead than the living. They keep slaves (and stop telling us they're servants, we're not idiots), and instead of returning their dead to the earth and the Earthmother they wrap them in cloth, raise them as undead and make them guard their tombs for all eternity!

They refuse our gods, their priests have been trying to tell us how to farm our own land and live in our own homes from the start, and now they're building their idols and their temples to replace our own! How long before they start turning our lands into a desert? How much longer before they want to start raising their undead-filled tombs here too?

We've welcomed them to live with us, and we've kept them safe. We've shared our food with them, and there's less and less to go around as is with all the new arrivals. But they were always just guests, that was what we were told. And when I asked them why they were still here, they said that they have godsblood and I'm below them! That's not how we do things in Kohlingen, we don't overstay our welcome or abuse charity. That's exactly why we don't take in Thayans, or Zhentarim.

What they do on the land their gods gave to them is their choice, but this is ours. Our land, our gods, our ways. They'll either have to learn and become Kohlingeners or return to their home. They can't bring their desert here.

- Aernoud

Pony wrote:
Kohlingen's foundation is composed of the the teachings of the triad, and how we treat those who seek our aid, reflects upon us as servants of those principles. The Lord Ilmater teaches us to strive to take the burdens of others, and support those who suffer, are persecuted or are oppressed.

We have given shelter to the exodus of mystrian servants when they were attacked and pursued by the Commonwealth. We have given shelter to the exiled cordorian nobility and loyalists, who were disowned, driven from their home, and hunted down by the Commonwealth. They have understood that their asylum was dependent on respecting the principles and ways of the city, and both the mystrian faith and ducal loyalists have contributed to this city in ways that have repaid their debts repeatedly. And they continue to contribute to the well-being and prosperity of the people of Kohlingen. In return, we have respected their needs and ways within the reasonable confines of the ways of this city.

House Caris hence stands in solidarity to the people of Muhlorand who have been granted the refuge of the Holy City, and I shall be instructing my stewart Dame Alanna Molov to continue to represent this stance here in Kohlingen in my absence. We intent to continue to strive for the integration and peaceful relations with our new neighbors, and to help them through the difficult times they were subjected to.

The mulhorandi will understand that the animation of the dead or the bondage of people is forbidden in Kohlingen, just as the mystrians have understood the limitations placed on their practice. Lastly, the laws of the Holy City protect the faith of the triad and invests it with the authority to regulate any church that seeks to construct a house of worship within its lands.

Robert of Caris

Grymia wrote:

The Mystrans of this region lost their place of worship during the conflict with the Arcanum and Reyes , and were welcomed into Kohlingen in large, with only reasonable requests placed upon them in regards to their faith and worship. While they may come off as aloof, their beliefs are rightly their own. As a fair acknowledgement on the other side of the metaphorical coin, I have had to accept some modification of customs normally observed by Gondites but I feel comfortable in how I do so to allow a bridge betwixt Mystra and Gond, two of my main aspects of faith.

In regards to a place of worship, those of Mystra (lead especially by Lord Valis' efforts) were able to find a small grove in the Feylake where those who worship Mystra and Azuth may do so. So long as no laws are broken and they are mindful of the ways of their fellow Kohlingenians, and as long as they follow the proper guidelines to do so I see no reason their request for a shrine cannot proceed.

It may help ease concerns if the Dogma and primary practices of Anubis were more readily known, especially to those in the authority of the Triadic church and the city's government.

House Valo's position in regards to the people of Mulhorand resident is clear, we stand with them and are ready to help work with them for a better future.

Lord Tuomas Valo

Lutra wrote:Sir Aernoud,

I hope that I am wrong in this matter but your concern appears to be more propagandistic than reasonable. The refugees that you are talking about have only arrived two years ago. Of course they will have problems adapting to our climate, two years is barely enough for anything, even a decade will not be enough for such. Yet, they are our allies and the city will stand with them.

I will leave a copy of the Ma'at's teachings, hopefully it will help you understand their way of life better. You will definitely find cultural differences but their moral standards do not really differ from the western standards.

G

MoshingChris wrote:Copies of these scrolls begin turning up in Djedet and are sent with reverence to the Monolith. Each scroll would address one part of the guiding system of Maat pertaining to the culture of Mulhorand. They are written in beautiful arranged pictoglyphs. These particular scrolls bear the seal of one Tauronemhet.

Book 1: Social Order and Harmony

Verse I: "I have made every man like his fellow"

Social order is important, as is tradition, but within the eye of the God-Kings all men within the realms are equal within the cosmic harmony. No man, property or noble, is above the service he must render unto the Gods, for it is with service that man finds his way into immortality. To maintain the kingdom the summation of all its parts, from the youngest child to the eldest man, from the smallest Oasis to the largest Sepat, must be preserved.

Verse II: "The highest palm frond owes life to its roots"

The Pharoah is served by his subjects for he is the manifestation of the Divine rule of the Gods. The Pharoah therefore must also serve the people for he is answerable to the Gods, for the people, even the lowest property, are also the subjects of the Gods above him.

Verse III: "I have never seen a man give birth, have you?"

Women within the realm are to be granted the same rights to land and the oppurtunity to accumulate wealth and title if they are unmarried or are widowed and the eldest sons are not of age. This is a universal truth for it was Isis and Nepthys who returned Lord Osiris to life.

Verse IV: "The fairest gems are often found in the plainest earth"

Venerate intelligence and wit, judge not by birth but by merit. Seek out the able amongst the people, amongst the property, amongst the nobility and amongst the artisan castes. Relate to them the Maat and provide them the means to reach their full potential.

Verse V: "It is not the victors that write the histories. No, it is the scribes"

Honor the history of the kingdom of the God-Pharoahs. Offer succour and protection to the literate for the preservation of the Kingdoms history is what allows the truest people of the realms to endure. The lowest scribe is as valuable to the Kingdom as the most literate noble.

Verse VI: "Better to be property than a pauper"

All within the Kingdom serve the God-Pharoahs. If a man, noble or free cannot pay a debt, let him enter the ranks of property gladly. The Knowledge that all men within the Kingdom serve, is the foundation of our glory.

Verse VII: "The Lion does not maim, nor does he kill without cause"

All within the Kingdom serve the God-Pharoahs, and all within the Kingdom are answerable to the Law. Doing injury unto another, without cause or provocation will see the antagonist face justice. Even the lowest of property have a right to wellbeing.
MoshingChris wrote:Book 2: The 42 Divine Principles of Ma'at

Guidelines for the weighing of life against the feather of Ma'at. Any breaking of these divine principles requires the devout to seek atonement for the grievance or the heart be heavier or lighter than the feather of Ma'at and the path to the hereafter and eternal peace and contentment within the field of reeds be denied. The 42 principles should be shared amongst all and committed to memory for in the next life one must know all the questions for he shall not be asked them.

I
I have not committed sin.

II
I have not committed robbery with violence.

III
I have not stolen.

IV
I have not slain men or women

V
I have not stolen food.

VI
I have not swindled offerings.

VII
I have not stolen from God/Goddess.

VIII
I have not told lies.

IX
I have not carried away food.

X
I have not cursed.

XI
I have not closed my ears to truth

XII.
I have not committed adultery.

XIII
I have not made anyone cry.

XVI
I have not felt sorrow without reason

XV
I have not assaulted anyone

XVI
I am not deceitful.

XVII
I have not stolen anyone’s land

XVIII
I have not been an eavesdropper

XIX
I have not falsely accused anyone.

XX
I have not been angry without reason.

XXI
I have not seduced anyone’s wife.

XXII
I have not polluted myself.

XXIII
I have not terrorized anyone.

XXIV
I have not disobeyed the Law.

XXV
I have not been exclusively angry.

XXVI
I have not cursed God/Goddess.

XXVII
I have not behaved with violence.

XXVIII
I have not caused disruption of peace.

XXIX
I have not acted hastily or without thought.

XXX
I have not overstepped my boundaries of concern.

XXXI
I have not exaggerated my words when speaking.

XXXII
I have not worked evil.

XXXIII
I have not used evil thoughts, words or deeds.

XXXIV
I have not polluted the water

XXXV
I have not spoken angrily or arrogantly.

XXXVI
I have not cursed anyone in thought, word or deeds.

XXXVII
I have not placed myself on a Pedestal.

XXXVIII
I have not stolen what belongs to God/Goddess.

XXXIX
I have not stolen from or disrespected the deceased.

XL
I have not taken food from a child.

XLI
I have not acted with insolence.

XLII
I have not destroyed property belonging to God/Goddess.

AlannaMolov wrote:A letter is delivered to the attention of the Justicar, Court, and agents of Kohlingen.

"Lady Justicar and Court,

I am writing on the behalf of Meriptah of Anubis, who informed me that during the Wyrmfall Celebration he was attacked by a Kohlingen noble. He did not know this man's name, but said he wore livery of green and red and was the organizer of the Archery tournament. According to Meriptah, there was an altercation in which the noble in question was the aggressor, shouting slurs about the Mulhorandi, who fled the scene after attacking Meriptah, and is now wanted by the guards.

I am writing to inquire if this man was caught and punished accordingly. It is unacceptable behavior from our noble caste, who are charged with the protection and wellbeing of the common people. The Mulhorandi were and are a great ally, and should be able to feel comfortable within the walls of Kohlingen as much as their own home. We of privilege also carry a great responsibility. I count among mine the behavior of my fellow nobility. Feel free to pass the inquiry along to whoever might be most knowledgeable about this subject.

Mystra's Grace,
Lady Lanie d'Cordor"

Rigela wrote:The man was warned and fined for his behaviour, worry not. We do not, and shall not tolerate this behaviour within the city. The Mulhorandi people will be our allies, despite any small dissent that may remain. Meriptah and any other Mulhorandi should feel safe, and have been informed to immediately report any further instances to the guard where the aggressors shall be summarily dealt with.

If the noble in question causes any incidents again, he shall not find his punishment so lenient.

Cystana
Justicar

Elorathall wrote:I was doing and am doing what is right.
Your fourfold duties are to faith, family, masters, and all good beings of Faerûn.

Faith and family first. The Mulhorandi are bringing their strange gods here, who will turn Kohlingen in just another part of their empire when they have the chance. And let's not forget that they're desert gods. Didn't one of their gods try to kill all of them? Wasn't that the reason they came here?

Frankly, I fail to see why we hold the Mulhorandi to different standards than we do everyone else that comes here. Haven't we always welcomed newcomers as long as they learned our ways? What makes the Mulhorandi so different that they don't have to? And besides, can we really expect a people that ran away rather than defend their homeland to stand with us if ours is threatened?

- Aernoud

Lutra wrote:Sir Aernoud,

Your agitation and the assumptions regarding these people are getting beyond good taste. We are not using double standards, they are here as law abiding refugees. They have not done anything that would indicate that they wish to make the Holy City as part of their "Empire".

Their culture might look odd but as long as they abide to the laws of the city, we have no reason not to tolerate them. Furthermore, the city as per the founding principles of the Purity's Refugee is obliged to give aid good people who are in need. The Holy City will treat them with compassion and that is a virtue that I can only recommend you to learn.

Glendil

Naivatkal wrote:A rather displeased-looking Lucious is seen leaving a piece of parchment. As he leaves, words such a 'disgusting' and 'shameful' and 'bigot' are overheard.

While this is not a public forum, I will place this here regardless.

Let it be known that I vehemently protest the words and actions of this so called noble man, Aernoud. You, sir, do a disservice to this city in how you comport yourself. I do not follow the Triad, yet I am here in service of this city. Should I leave as well? Cast out because of my faith in Mystra? Because that is what your words suggest. Your xenophobic outcries -which, might I add, border on hysterics- are based upon naught. Hells, man, your claims that they will 'turn us into their empire' is laughable at best, and idiocy at worst.

Tell me, what good are simple folk against a horde of demons? That is what they were facing when their lands were ravaged. Should the good people of Khem have died for absolutely no reason against an enemy they could not face? Or should they have logically fled their lands while those adventurers armed with the tools for the task fought bravely against that threat? Adventurers, I will remind you, which included a fair number of Mulhorandi among others.

Perhaps you should speak civilly with those you hate for no reason before you speak such vile words for no reason. Then you may think with wisdom. Do not forget the rest of the passage from Torm's guidance: Your fourfold duties are to faith, family, masters, and all good beings of Faerûn. That includes the Mulhorandi, despite the hate in your heart. Furthermore, one might wonder why, if the Justicar has decreed that they Mulhorandi are to be welcomed, you see fit to go against that just ruling.

I apologize to the others in the Keep if my words are felt to be too strong, however I will not stand silent as I see such outrageous actions taken either physically or verbally.

Mystra bless you all,
-Lucious Kraven
Kohlingen Order of Mages

Elorathall wrote:Non of this answers why they refuse to learn our ways and follow our gods, and leave their own in the land they abandoned. If they don't want to be treated as strangers and outsiders, they should stop acting like it.

- Aernoud

LastDragonRider wrote:*the Bronzekin Priestess of Bahamut finally loses patience with the "debate"*
This vitriol is unbecoming a Noble of Kohlingen. You are not a follower of the Triad, yet you are not being forced to change your ways, I am not a follower of the Triad, and am allowed to maintain my beliefs. Kohlingen was founded based on the precepts of Purity's Refuge, a council of four different belief systems, that of the Triad and Kelemvor. The city has welcomed and will continue to welcome all those of goodly intentions and nature regardless of religion, or deity believed in. Including you. Though you might find yourself unwelcome if you continue this bigotry which is not something that has ever been acceptable in Kohlingen. Your behavior is far from noble, it is ignoble and your words are baseless and rabble rousing of the type we expect to hear from West Cordor's ruffians.

I am not human and follow a dragon god, not of the pantheon that houses the Triad... based on your logic, I'd be next to be run out of Kohlingen.

May the Lord of the North Wind's Wisdom find you before you make regrettable but unforgivable errors.

~Svintraniv Araceli
Bronzekin Aasimar Priestess of the Platinum Dragon

Grymia wrote:As I, who follow Mystra and Gond as well as the respect of the Celestial Hebdomad, would you have me cast out and mocked for worshipping differently?

Lord Tuomas Valo

Elorathall wrote:If you're going to presume to tell me what Kohlingen was founded on, then tell me this: what is the history and meaning of the giant oak?

Why is the boar the sigil of my family?

What does Minmir mean?

What is Tristram's Oath?

- Aernoud

Lutra wrote:We are well aware of the history of Kohlingen and the entertaining, but non-canonized version of it issued by your own house Sir Aernoud. We all know that the Boar is your spirit, along with the things that you brew and that you consider more Kohlinger yourself than compared to the others.

Kohlingen's original founding, the Purity's Refugee was meant to provide safe haven to all who were being oppressed by the tyranny of Cordor and the city's merchant caravan before the actual war occurred between the two cities. Need I remind you that is somehow left out from the family history of yours, your family also ran behind the city walls like everyone else did when the Cordorian mercenaries arrived? We are all refugees here and we treat other refugees as one of us. If you believe that the Mulans can abandon their ancient culture and adapt to our own culture within two years then it only shows your ignorance regarding other cultures.

Kohlingen will not step back from its founding principles just because you find the presence of a few people uncomfortable. If you don't like them then avoid them or don't talk to them, that is the best I can recommend to you. I also recommend you to show more respect towards women, because your behavior with them in Bendir Dale. You are a noble of this city and a hair to your house and your behavior outside this city is already causing problems for the city officials. If you are unable to control yourself then the court will have to summon your father.

G

Elorathall wrote:You haven't given me a single answer yet. The boar is my spirit? Are you saying that the spirit of house Chimay is a grape? So, why the boar? Why not the oak? Or the bull? Or a cup?

You can't answer these simple questions, but you accuse my whole family of fabricating false history. But I didn't expect you to. There's been so much time spent trying to be Cormyr (dragons and all) that something was forgotten along the way: this isn't Cormyr, and neither should it be. But perhaps this isn't something you're entirely at fault for. A lot of things have been forgotten or dilluted, to be replaced with foreign traditions and ways. I think it's high time to turn that around, before there's nothing left at all and Kohlingen might as well be Cordor.

As an aside, what I do and who I do it with on my own time is my business. If any official has an issue with that, they can bring it to me directly.

666WaysToHell wrote:Our dragon heraldry of the Holy City is representative of Imperator, who was the chosen of Bahamut and who was risen as a spirit by the Lord of the North Wind to guard over the city and advise the court of Kohlingen during the term of the late Justicar Lord Marinsbane. That is why we hold the dragon symbol to our hearts, not because we wish to be like Cormyr, but because it is an integral part of our history.

- Lady Jacia Caerus

Elorathall wrote:This is true, and it's fair. I don't mean to discount the value of that, but why was the platinum dragon chosen as the symbol of the city exactly, as compared to other symbols such as the keep or the oak?
- Aernoud

Lutra wrote:*The bard reads the notice then sighs a bit, shaking his head, muttering to himself* "Knights who don't even bother looking into the history of the city." *Then he adds some correction to the timeline.*

Lady Jacia says is both correct and incorrect but I will give a better insight for this. The Draconic symbolism goes way back to the foundation of Kohlingen. However, unlike to Cormyr where the symbol shows the ancient tyrant of the land (the black dragon who was old enough to turn purple) that was slain by the knights of Cormyr, we honor those who blessed and protected the city.

The Imperator was the seneschal of the Kingdom of Benwick. During the Fall of Benwick, the Defenders of Kohlingen, lead by Lady Celene Na'ilo who were once affiliated with the Kingdom rescued the Lord Imperator. Later the Lord Imperator himself rescued the city and the Defenders from a dark wizard and his army, known as "The Hunter". The Lord Imperator also aided the city and made the decisive strike on the Horde during the Horde Wars and served the city until his death.

During the Wyrmshadow Prophecy where the city itself was meant to be doomed, the Imperator defeated the Aurichon, the king of Wyrmhold in the Temple of the Triad's Light. Soon after that he died during the siege of Wyrmhold, protecting the sieging army from Infernus. After his fall Bahamut blessed him and returned him as the Eternal Guardian of Kohlingen.

As you can see the city's symbolism does not necessarily rely on the classical laws of the symbols of Heraldry, but on her own historical tradition. The "Oak" as the ancient meaning of "Strength" is not sufficient. The "Keep" by meaning might have been correct if we were to follow the symbols of Heraldry. However, back then the city was much smaller and the keep wasn't even built then, it is a later addition to the city. Furthermore, at the time of the city's foundation, the city was fighting the war against Cordor's tyranny, and then Cordor had the "Keep" as her symbol, and thus Kohlingen could not take the same symbol.

The Draconic Symbolism thus came with our history to honor the fact that Kohlingen, by the grace of Bahamut was blessed with the protectors what the draconic language would call "The Walking Blessings", the ones who protect the innocents from tyranny. Considering the events around the city's foundation and the history against battling the tyranny, that symbol honors what was given to us by the gods and thus cannot be taken.

G

File 2 is dated 4 - 16 Alturiak, 1384 DR, only six months after the close of the previous entry. This entry further indicates that Aernoud Van Brabant has a history of seeking to manipulate others to gain support for his hatred toward a select group of innocent individuals. In this evidence, he is seen to be inciting public hatred, panic, and violence against a group of people when only an individual was at fault for the destruction of the Van Brabant crops.

File 2

LeathanKayne wrote:As this has become a serious issue, Lady Talen has tasked me with all reports and making a specific file for the issue so they can be kept together for ease of discussion. New reports can be filed as regular or in this file, and I will continue to keep it updated with direct and related or potentially related issues.

-Scribe Krisora Buckmen

2nd of Alturiak wrote:One of the Mulhorandi elders passed this message onto us, that they received earlier this day. They wished that we be informed of a possible incident that could occur within the city. They intend to speak with her, to see if this holds any truth and if so persuade her away from such dark paths. They understand though if the city believes it must act to deny her entrance in face of this threat.

Private Smith

Ii-wy em hotep nefer weret,

I have just been informed that I am to be assassinated by one of our own that goes by the name of Oleander. Know that she has once followed Set, and likely does again considering her actions. Considering assassination breaks over ten of the fourty-two Divine Principles of Ma'at, there is no way she does not serve Set unless she is extremely delusional. I have also been informed she is trying to "save the people" by getting rid of me. I thought you should be warned considering she is assisting with the training of the Mulhorandi guard.

Ankh udja seneb
~Meriptah Anhet of Anubis
3rd of Alturiak wrote: Fined Aernound Van Brabant 1000gp for violation of the harassment law with the note below being produced and placed around the Greengarden and his estate in high quantities after previously warning him earlier today about another notice written in a less agressive manner by dwarf named Scribe.
Elorathall wrote:

YOU POISONED AND CURSED OUR LAND.
YOU THREATEN MY FAMILY WITH DEATH.
YOU THREATEN THE CITY WITH FAMINE.

THE BRABANDERS DONT BACK DOWN SO EASILY.
WE BLED TO STOP THE HORDE.
WE WILL BLEED TO STOP YOU.

CHOKE ON YOUR LIES!
Obtaining the fine was another chore entirely. I received personal insult a number of times, he refused to pay repeatedly until he was given time with Ser Robert to talk. Then he reluctantly obliged and further offered slander to myself. Admittedly I told him exactly what I thought of him, which may be easily considered unprofessional to call a man disgusting. Of course I accept any reprimanding I receive for this action.

Sir Dante was present through out the fining.

It is worth noting that he clearly has a special distaste for me as an individual, also.

~Ranger Clairmont Chevalier
4th of Alturiak wrote:The following is a copy from the boards at Kampos. These notices have been spread further, confirmed to be in Wharftown as well.
Priests and Servants of Chauntea,
House Van Brabant of Kohlingen calls for your aid!

For countless generations we have been faithful to the Greatmother,
tending the fields with respect for the natural ways and the cycles of the seasons.
Never relying on cheap and easy magic to twist the land apart,
but working with our hands, and the tools and methods She taught us.
We have housed and supported priests and monks whenever they needed aid,
and each generation at least one of our blood swears service to the Goddess.

But now our fields lie barren, beset with rot and vermin.
Dark witchcraft twists the seasons, turning winter to summer before its time.
The worship of distant desert gods encroaches on our faith,
besieging ways and wisdom that have fed our people for hundreds of years.

The Greatmother has always been kind and generous to us,
and we have been kind and generous to Her as best as we could.
We now call on your aid, to remove the rot from our land
and stand with us against the evil that would twist the earth and wind against us.

Jonkheer Aernoud Van Brabant of Kohlingen
Though we may gain some help in returning nature to it's original state in the area, this at the same time spreads a message of fear and hostility as well. We may have to release a public statement about the events going on to counter messages like these made in ignorance and prejudice, before the tensions are made any worse.

It may be more prudent to cure the blight first before further hunting down whoever is responsible, for as the blight continues, tensions will continue to increase. Hopefully we can turn to the druids to lend aid in restoring the land. We may also consider speaking with our resident Naiad to see if she's aware of what's caused this or what she's felt.

Until then, we will have to watch very closely for opportunistic dark forces looking to pounce on the tensions so they can inflame them further. We may also have to look at reducing the requirements to at least temporarily ban specific visitors from entering the city if it looks like we're getting an aberrant amount of people coming to assist who are on board with the hostilities against the Mulhorandi population. This will reduce the chance of riots antagonized by outsiders and allow us to better handle this matter internally, hopefully without subjecting our people to martial law to keep order.

More will be added to this file as records are reviewed. In the meantime, I intend to write up a public statement (to be reviewed by the court first) in reply to the unrest. The proposed statement will be posted shortly once a draft has been made.

666WaysToHell wrote:Anyone posting notices that are inciting unrest or ire against or between citizens of Kohlingen should be arrested immediately and spend no less than twenty four hours in jail. We need to show these spoiled children that their actions beget consequences, we should no longer sit idly by and slap them on the wrist, berating them from afar while they tear down our city from within.

- Lady Knight Jacia Caerus

Rigela wrote:The Elders of the Mulhorandi people have asked that a small number of the keep meet with them when the intended sermon was to be held, today. Priest Meriptah intends to discuss the 'fate of the Mulhorandi people' with them and they believe a united approach to it would serve well. I shall be in attendance myself, and would ask those who are able present themselves alongside me.

Justicar
Cystana

Rigela wrote:We would ask that Lawkeeper Gunn is given aid to represent the Triad in these current matters in seeing the law is enacted properly and fairly to all involved.

Lord Randolph

Pony wrote:
I would ask City Hall and Dragonstone Keep to provide us with the following information before or at the beginning of meeting:

• the total number of residents in Kohlingen with mulhorandi refugee background of last year.
• the crime rate of those of mulhorandi refugee background,
• the crime rate of those of native kohlingen background of last year
• the crime rate of those linked to Lord Aeround's movement of last year
• the buttom line how much the support of social programms for mulhorandi refugees cost last year, compared to what they bring to the city in taxes last year.
• the estimate of where these numbers will be for next year.
• the buttom line how much the support of social programs for native kohlingen citizens cost last year, compared to what they bring to the city in taxes last year.
• the estimate of where these numbers will be for next year.
• any report of attempted slavery or other kohlingen felony crimes linked to "foreign customs", such as murder.
• the costs of the additional security precautions stemming from the conflict between Lord Aerounds movement and the mulhorandi

Until now I have seen no information that supports the allegations that those of mulhorandi refugee background are more likely to commit a crime, or that they burden the city to the extend it would present any potential to bankrupt it. I would rather we discuss these aspects on factual information, rather than the gut-feeling of a single man.

Robert

Luckbringer wrote:Another parchment is added to the pile of reports.

Members of the keep,

This issue has been left to fester too long. Decisive action is needed to ensure peace continues in the city, at a time when it is needed most. The law is explicit in punishing those that disturb the peace by inciting unrest and publically air vilifying opinions of others which hold no fact.

It is my strong recommendation that the accusing parties, Aernoud Van Brabant and the one known as Scribe, be summoned to the court immediately by the guard to present whatever evidence they hold to support their claims against the Mulhorandi people. They should be ordered to halt any further postings of this kind under threat of imprisonment until a judgement is made. Let the court weigh this evidence to judge its merit. If the evidence holds no weight, and found libelous in nature then the accusing parties should be charged with the full force of the law for their crimes under the city's penal code, articles 4, 5 and 8 and punished accordingly.

However, if their evidence or any other brought through the keep's investigations is deemed compelling and there have been any crimes committed by any of the Mulhorandi people, then they should likewise be summoned to the court for judgement.

Any party not heeding the summons should be brought before the court in chains.

By Tyr's guidance.

Lawkeeper Gunn

Lutra wrote:*A brief report is sent from the farmlands.*

With Talyne's cooperation the curse is lifted and the crops are restored as they were before the curse occurred.

Lord Hector

Rigela wrote:Aernoud has served a day within the cells for his actions and his father reprimanded. Warned that if his families actions continue in such a way, we shall have no choice but to strip all titles from his family.

Talyne has been sentenced to ten days of community service under the eye of Lord Sylgerand, working to make amends and toil the soil.

Both played volatile parts in the recent flaring up of distrust, and should be watched to ensure such does not occur again.

Cystana
Justicar

---
Pinkhaml86

Post by Pinkhaml86 »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #003

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #003 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Lord Lazarus Parmunster.

Sworn AffidavitMy appologies council and those preciding, my penmanship and ways for elaborate writing are not up to par as some of the other noble houses. I shall write here in point form with as much detail as I can muster all of the accounts that I have against Aernoud and his deteriorating mental capacity.

- Assault on a council member, my Father, Duke Laterius Parmunster. : I was informed one afternoon after returning to our family estate that my father had gone for a walk down to Greengarden to discuss something with Aernoud. Seeing as it was a decent day I decided to walk that way myself. Upon arriving in greenGarden, I saw no sign of my father or Aernoud around the dukes house, or the gathering fire by the gate so I continued to walk towards to old keep. It was there that I found my father in an overly exasperated state, flustered, red in the face, and physically shaking with anger and fear.
Aernoud was also present, yelling at my father over a conversation they where having. I did not catch wind of the conversation at hand but my father came to my side and told me that Aernoud had threatend too, and then attempted to assault my father.
Aernoud did not deny it.

It was that same afternoon that I saw a different side of Aernoud. A side filled with such contempt for his kingdom, tinge of lawlessness and rebellion in his eye when he looked upon any noble house still aligned with The lord Protector, and Cystana.

It was only a day or so after this altercation against my father, and the council, that aernoud began to arm a militia that would listen to only his rule and laws.
"For the consideration of armorers and smiths.

The Duchy of Kohlingen wishes to commission the following.

20 mithril spears
40 mithril maces
20 crossbows of good quality
50 chain mails and helmets of good quality

Preferably made with materials sourced from the Duchy itself.

Applicants for the commission are to speak to Duke Aernoud of Kohlingen."
Lord Lazarus Parmunster
Tempest Rayne - "a'lil 'ide an'seek luv?"
Legion

Post by Legion »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #004

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #004 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Sir Maximilian Du Lac

Sworn Affidavit
I shall recall in as much detail my recollections of Duke Aernoud Van Brabant and his repeated challenges of the established and lawful government of the Kingdom of Kohlingen and his deteriorating mental state.

- Challenging the lawfully appointed Lord Protector, Walter Mortimer.
Repeatedly challenged the rule and rulings of the lawfully appointed Lord Protector, often in open court, see the posted attempt at skewing laws toward himself viewtopic.php?t=2838 both in correspondance and in open court. Additionally when asked to renew his vows to the kingdom, it was refused and nearly lead to loss of title and a previous charge of treason.

- Verbal attack up on at the time dowager Queen Zellani.
During the above saga, Duke Van Brabant requested a private meeting with the Dowager Queen. During this meeting heated words were exchanged and the Duke besmirched the name of Justicar Cystana among others to attack the position of the Dowager Queen, saying that the late Justicar should have died because she failed the people and paid the price of that failure. This speaks to his mental state of even attacking the dead to prove a point of maintain a position. Willing to attack the memory of a hero showed me what kind of man the Duke was or was becoming I saw a man willing to hurt someone to get what he wanted. There was such an uproar, that even Lord Protector Mortimer was drawn to the situation and felt the need to challenge the Duke to a duel that was refused. Also showing a lack of honor.

-Sir Maximilian Du Lac, Order of the Osprey
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #005
Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #005 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.
To be transferred as Exhibit #001 into evidence for the Defense regarding the case of Van Brabant v. Council of Kohlingen if necessary.

File 1 contains various notices and proclamations released by myself and Aernoud Van Brabant between 9 Uktar and 14 Uktar 1390 DR. Let the record show that these postings indicate my own attempts to maintain a civil and reasonable discourse. It also indicates Aernoud's flagrant abuse of his position to place himself above the Council and Lord Protector, whom the late King Gregory had charged with overseeing the safety and administration of the kingdom.

File1

Jes wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:39 amPeople of Greengarden,

The royal family of the Kingdom of Kohlingen encourages you to stand against the wicked machinations of those who would undermine the tenets of the Triad and Bahamut, upon which our kingdom is founded. Rumors and speculation are the weapons of those who would oppose the honest and just. Tyr's and Torm's teachings would remind us that truth can be found with tempered zeal, and Ilmater teaches us to have mercy in our hearts. Bahamut reminds us to love and forgive.

"These tenets have guided our people for many years. We have strength together that our true enemies cannot overcome. I have sent more Silver Dragons and the promised Everguard to assist with the troubles we face in Greengarden. It is my hope that the additional Silver Dragons can further assist in keeping the people of Greengarden safe from any further threats from outside influences who would use petty tricks to pit Greengarden against Fort Cystana.

"May the Triad and Bahamut watch over all of us as we endure these trying times together.

Zellani Simmons
Regent
Jes wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:57 pm
A Warrant for Arrest
People of Kohlingen

Before King Gregory Simmons abdicated the throne due to his failing health, he declared that the Council and Lord Protector would oversee our Kingdom in his place. They have dutifully tended the kingdom in his stead since then, as decreed by my husband.

While they have done well, they have not been perfect. This can be seen in the more recent decree regarding the split of Greengarden lands. Duke Van Brabant rightfully stood against this and was prepared to issue his own statement of summons, calling on them to answer for their transgression. He brought this to my attention after the same Council named me Regent, and he spoke to me as Regent in addressing this situation. As Regent, representative of the Crown Prince, I asked him to delay so that I could speak with them first in an effort to avoid conflict. The Duke agreed to my request, further illustrating that he accepted my position as Regent. Soon after, I stood before the Council on behalf of the Duke and pleaded with them to rescind their decree, as it was indeed beyond the scope of what they were lawfully able to do. They saw this wisdom after my meeting with them and they retracted their decree which would have overruled the former King's decree.

Thus Duke Van Brabant's insistence that he is above the former King's decree and does not recognize the Lord Protector or Council which the King himself charged with overseeing the kingdom is hypocrisy which is further underscored by his acceptance of me as Regent only when it benefited what he desired in that moment: for me to support him in dealing with the Council's overstep.

I take my position as Regent with due sincerity. I represent my son, the Crown Prince, in all that I do. This includes the recent request that the Council made for me to consider returning to the throne as Queen. I stated then that I would not do so without the support of the people. As such, I am not immediately your Queen and I have no desire to force the issue without the people's consent. I will only become Queen of Kohlingen once again with your support - and only for as long as necessary for the Crown Prince to come of age. Such has been the case since it was first asked of me, as it is not solely my decision which would determine this. I further have no desire to change the fact that the Crown Prince is the Crown Prince and set to take the throne on 22 Marpenoth, 1404 DR.

However I issue this announcement not as prospective Queen but as lawful Regent, as legal representative of the Crown Prince.

On behalf of Crown Prince James Simmons,

Zellani Simmons,
by royal investiture Regent of the Crown Prince

declares Duke Aernoud Van Brabant is charged with Crimes Against the Realm,
undertaken within and against the Kingdom of Kohlingen:

Treason
Usurpation
Blasphemy

He is called to surrender to the custody of the Council of Kohlingen within three days
To answer these charges and be judged.

May Tyr's justice account in all balance.
The king's law stands.
Elorathall wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:43 pm
A proclamation from the Duke of KohlingenLet all people of the Kingdom know:

One.

I have been accused of Treason, Usurpation and Blasphemy by Lady Zellani Simmons. In the absence of a crowned king to turn to for justice, I have turned to Tyr. Lord Randolph has agreed to conduct the trial, and I shall submit to the judgement of the Even-Handed. By his request, I have surrendered into the custody of the Temple of the Triad.

Two.

Lady Zellani stated I intended to summon the then-members of the council to account for their crimes against the Duchy and the King’s authority. This is true. I presented her with a draft summons, two days before the recent meeting in the Cystana city hall.

It is also true that she urged me to wait, so that she could speak to them first. I granted a delay of three days for her to convince those involved to openly recognize their transgression, and submit to justice of their own initiative. At no time did I recognize or charge her as Regent in this matter - I merely yielded to a request for trust from one I thought worthy of it.

The delay of three days has passed. Rather than a public statement from the councillors in question, Lady Zellani claimed they had withdrawn their illegal proclamation. Incidentally, it was during the same meeting she revealed she had been invited by the council to take the throne.

But a statement from the council’s newest member does not undo their actions. Should those whose decisions affect many lives beyond their own not be held to the highest standard? Are those who make and enforce our community’s rules and agreements not most expected to act by them?

And so, let all loyal and true people of the Kingdom know:

In the name of His Majesty Gregory Simmons, I declare the following individuals charged with Crimes Against the Realm, undertaken within and against the Duchy of Kohlingen and the King's authority.

Lord Walter Mortimer: Treason, for willfully betraying his charge as Lord Protector by supporting acts to usurp the king’s authority, and Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.

Lord Laterius Parmunster: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.

Lady Johanna Evington: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.

Lord Winston Cunningham: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.

Thoven Shieldheart: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.

They are called to surrender to the custody of the Duke of Kohlingen or the Church of Tyr within three days, to answer these charges and be judged.

May Tyr's justice account in all balance. The king's law stands.

Three.

I seek no escalation of the current hostilities, and seek no harm against any of the kingdom’s true and faithful people. I have surrendered myself to the judgement of Tyr, and pray those above to do the same. I pray there shall now be peace, during which time current matters can be resolved through law, with dignity.

That said, by the decree of His Majesty Gregory Simmons, I remain charged with the defence of the Duchy and its people. None shall be permitted to abuse this time of trial to seize the land or harm the people in my charge.

And so, let all loyal and true people of the Kingdom know that:

From this day, and until Tyr’s judgement has been declared upon the charges against myself, and the charges against the then-members of the Council:

No member of the Silver Dragons, Mageguard, Everguard, Platinum Knights or the Council, nor their servants, shall be permitted entry to the Duchy without my explicit permission.

In the event of acute and mortal danger to the people of the Duchy, Acting Captain Brant Redwald holds the authority to grant entry to the Duchy to those who seek to assist in the removal of the threat. Those granted access must depart when the threat has been removed.

Those who respect this decree and its spirit shall be heard at earliest opportunity. Those who do not shall be considered undertaking acts of Rebellion, Sabotage and Espionage, and be dealt with accordingly.

In service,

Aernoud van Brabant,
Duke of Kohlingen

File 2 contains the Royal Decree regarding the ennobled duties and rankings of the Kingdom of Kohlingen. Aernoud Van Brabant was appointed Duke, representative of the Crown to the people of Greengarden. While the Crown granted him the privilege of stewardship over Greengarden, the Crown did not grant Aernoud Van Brabant legal authority over matters of the realm. Aernoud Van Brabant, as Duke of Greengarden, does not have the authority to declare crimes against the Realm. Given that Aernoud Van Brabant may only issue lawful decrees within the context of his stewardship of Greengarden, with the understanding that these decrees must not violate the laws of the Kingdom or the rights of the people within the borders of the Kingdom, the decree to arrest the Council is therefore unlawful and invalid.

It is the recommendation of Zellani Simmons, as Regent and voice of the Crown Prince, that Aernoud Van Brabant's warrant is declared void due to his own overstepping. He places himself above the Council. The King did not grant him a place above the Council. Thus this is a continued pattern of attempted abuse of our system and of our people's trust.

File 2

The Final Draft wrote:
The Simmons Royal Family Decree alongside The Lord Protector Walter Mortimer, The Everguard, Platinum Knights, and Silver Dragons and All upstanding Citizenry:

The Lord Protector of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Lord Protector of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
  • The Lord Protector acts as the head of military and the chair of the Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen.
  • The Lord Protector must come from a branch of military service to the crown AND be temporarily removed from any deed/title to land or other political oversight.
  • The Lord Protector must weigh in on official matters and ensure the smooth administration of the Kingdom in the stead of the Crown, when the Crown is unable to rule.
  • The Lord Protector must abide the guidance of the Council as a whole with regard to edicts or proclamations presented by the Lord Protector, in order to ensure that the people's interests and well-being come first.
  • The Lord Protector must be respected and welcomed by all applicable citizenry and/or a visitor to the kingdom.
  • Each year, on the anniversary of inauguration, the Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen will review and confirm or deny the continuation of the Lord Protector's service.
  • Should the Lord Protector be removed by the Council, the Council will elect a new Lord Protector immediately (as soon as possible, even in times of war).
  • In the event that the Lord Protector acts treasonous toward the people of the Kingdom of Kohlingen, the Council may hold an emergency session to vote to remove the current Lord Protector.
  • REMOVAL vote requires two-thirds majority to pass, and the Council will elect a new Lord Protector immediately (i.e. above); TEMPORARY "decommission" vote requires only half.
  • Elections for a new Lord Protector must pass by two-thirds majority, and will require discussion by dissenting party; if unanimous, Council will provide summary of agreement details.
  • The position of Lord Protector shall remain filled and honored until 22 Marpenoth, 1404 DR, when Prince James Gregory Simmons comes of age and is crowned King in ceremony by decree of the king (his father).
  • Prince/King Gregory is fully empowered to adjust, delay, elongate and otherwise modify the time-sensitive and legal terms regarding Protectorate circumstances.
  • The Dowager Queen Zellani Cys'dina may speak for the Crown Prince until age of mental acuity, in the form of suggestions only.

The Council of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
  • The Council oversees the administration of the Kingdom, working together with the Lord Protector to ensure that all administrative issues and necessities are met.
  • The Council will offer guidance and resources to the Lord Protector as they deem fit, to help ensure that the Lord Protector is able to fulfill all duties to the utmost ability.
  • The Council first and foremost serves the people of the Kingdom of Kohlingen and must always serve their best interests.
  • The Council appoints new members of the Council with a majority vote. The Council will only add additional seats to Council for additional needed communal representation.
  • The Council will meet at least monthly for public review and considerations; the expected outcome is at least weekly, once settled in new capital city.
  • The Council must always have at least one representative outside of the noble caste of the Kingdom of Kohlingen, to ensure that at least one voice will always be that of the people they serve.
  • Each member of the Council may submit one name to the ballot for a new Lord Protector. As each new election must pass with a two-thirds vote, elimination votes may take place to limit the number of nominees.
  • All members of the Council must be listed in a transparent manner, including any applicable secondary titles or roles, so that the people always know who they can approach with their concerns or appeals.
  • Each member is entitled to grant temporary authorization of a representative to the Council for their duties/obligations, with prior Council approval.
Current Councilors' "Duties/Obligations" Also known as community role, specialty or area/s of focus thus:
  • Councilor Duke Laterius Parmunster; Council Viceroy; Intelligence Officer; Business and Manor Development; Diplomatic Affairs (Enumerated Powers TBD)
  • Councilor Duke Winston Cunningham; Council General; Militia Moderator; Ranger, Master Scout and Cavalry Training (Lodge only; in progress?)
  • Councilor Lady Johanna Evington; Council Treasurer; Tax and Documentation; Kingdom Licensing and Litigation; Naval and Harbormaster Office (Note: Relocating to North/South/Lighthouse/s?)
  • Thoven Shieldheart; Common-born, Educated; City Planning; Construction Management; Academy, Employment and Small Business Advisor

The Dukes of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Dukes of the Kingdom of Kohlingen hold duties and obligations thus:
  • The Dukes of the Kingdom act as representatives of the Crown to the people under their charge.
  • Dukes of the Kingdom oversee an allotment of land which is transformed into a Duchy, per the Crown's or Council's decrees.
  • The Dukes must swear fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, via the Council, before the King or Lord Protector. The King or Lord Protector acts as executor to this oath.
  • Ducal oath must be renewed every year or with any appointment of a new Lord Protector, by voice and writ.
  • Duchies within the Kingdom must uphold the laws of the Kingdom. Duchies may have their own laws in amendment to the Kingdom's laws, and must submit these amendments to the Council for approval.
  • If a Duchy has no Council-approved posted laws, the Kingdom's posted laws in the Capital apply.
  • The Dukes of the Kingdom may train and arm their own guards in addition to the guards of the Kingdom, and may request to add or remove Kingdom guards as appropriate.
  • Should a Duke behave treasonous toward the Crown and Council, any member of the Council may call upon a trial to determine if the Duke's title should be stripped due to their actions. The Council may only do this if there is a provable threat to the safety and stability of the Kingdom or its people.
  • The Dukes otherwise adhere to the duties and obligations of the Noble Caste of Kohlingen.
  • The Dukes will lead their militiamen to battle personally and with expediency if the safety of any of the kingdom is threatened.
Current Dukes' "Duties/Obligations" Also known as landowning responsibility, expertise or environment/s of focus thus:
  • Duke Laterius Parmunster; Cystana; Business, Development and Diplomatic and Religious Relations
  • Duke Winston Cunningham; Whitestag; Hunting, Ranging and Army Reserve Training
  • Duke Aernoud Van Brabant; Greengarden; Farming, Supplying and Minding the Realm's Routine Affairs

The Noble Caste of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Noble Caste of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
  • Each head of a noble house must swear fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, via the Council, before the King or Lord Protector. The King or Lord Protector acts as executor to this oath. This oath must be renewed every year or with any appointment of a new Lord Protector.
  • Nobles of the Kingdom represent the honor and soul of the Kingdom. They serve the people just as the Council does, and each noble house should make an effort to invest or head projects for the betterment of the Kingdom or its people.
  • Noble houses will be held to a standard of behavior, as overseen by the Council of Kohlingen. Should the Council feel that a noble house or individual noble has dishonored the Kingdom, any member of the Council may call upon a trial to determine if the noble's title should be stripped. Further reparations may be due by other members of the noble house in order to maintain their titles.
  • Nobles with land ownership or other inheritance may follow doctrine of Siamorphe or otherwise engage in adoption or transition of holdings/duties/etc. (More detail TBD)

Current nobles have been informed by the kingdom of the renewals, these duties and obligations and are expected to come before the Council in Fort Cystana as soon as possible.
Detailed and ongoing list will be provided in the coming weeks, pending construction progress goes as planned (see: Thoven Shieldheart for details).
Posted sunrise, 5 Uktar, 1389 DR; Founding of Fort Cystana as Capital of Kingdom of Kohlingen; Amia, Trackless Sea.

*Please leave a short comment card with the city hall clerk office, if selecting entities are missing important items in documentation or see below (for commentary).

---
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #006

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #006 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Wilfire Strongfeet.

Sworn Affidavit
I hereby declare my testimony on the events that lead to this trial.

I've been through very hard times alongside Duke Aernoud van Brabant, since the Fall of the City and through the Bhaalite issues with the attack on the King and on the Duke's Wife.

I've always felt The Duke was trying to protect his people and do the best for them, but I could not imagine he would go on talks about treason and usurpation, specially after Lady Zellani, and getting the kingdom close to what looked like for me to be a civil war.

I can understand how mad he got with the Council with the proclamation that his Duchy was going to be cut in pieces, a decision that Lady Zellani worked on and got reverted as far as I know, and even with that he kept going on about treason and all.

As I've said, for a long time I've thought Duke Aernoud van Brabant wanted the best for his people, maybe he still does. Surrendering himself and de-escalating the situation are signs that he still worries for his people. But I do think that all the hard times from the past are still being a big tool on his mental health. All those events changed too many people including myself.

I do not think the Duke should go to jail because all of it, he needs time to heal from all those wounds and scars, and a jail or being in executive office are not the environment that would help him recover.
I sincerely hope that the situation improves and everyone can heal and move on towards prosperity.

~Wilfire Strongfeet
---
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #007

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #007 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Dame Ania Viranirn, Baronet of the Kingdom of Kohlingen.

Sworn Affidavit
This document was written by Captain Ania Elyssia Viranirn of Winya Ravana upon the 18th Day of Uktar 1390 DR and is intended to provide evidence on the behalf of the Kingdom of Kohlingen against the actions of Duke Aernoud van Brabant of Greengarden. I confirm that what is written here has been scribed from a conversation that was held privately with Duke Aernoud Van Brabant and myself in the Wave and Serpent Guildhouse of Southport on the 3rd Day of Uktar 1390 DR.

Aernoud first approached me in the Wave and Serpent in the later hours of the day to inquire about a private conversation. We left the Wave and Serpent Guildhouse's commons area and moved to the private meeting room on the second floor of the building and lowered our voices in order to prevent any potential eavesdroppers from listening in. He began by speaking of the newly formed districts created within the Duchy and how he was not consulted by the Council prior to this. He continued to say that despite never being consulted about these changes that they would have been illegitimate as the Council themselves are illegitimate to make such decisions. I personally did not agree with the idea to form the newly formed districts and had some sympathy initially to Aernoud's cause, so I suggested speaking with the newly titled Regent Zellani Simmons on the matter but this was dismissed, Duke Aernoud van Brabant citing that he cannot recognise the Regent if he does not recognise the Council's authority. I stated to Duke Aernoud van Brabant that he could not simply decree the Council as illegitimate but was rebuked when he stated that he could, as it was the late King Gregory Simmons' decree that there should be a Duchy of Kohlingen.

Duke Aernoud van Brabant then spoke of being forced with the decision of having to denounce the Council on claims of usurption of the monarchy and "at the very least demand Mortimer step in and do what he was appointed to do." Aernoud claimed further that he has an ancestral claim to caretaker of the region, and that Kohlingen itself has failed to uphold the original agreement between his ancestors and the founders of the old city. At this point in the conversation the undertone of seditious intent prompted me to remind Duke Aernoud van Brabant that seccession would be a highly unwise move to take. I advised Duke Aernoud van Brabant that his actions would undermine the security of the Old City and expose his charges and the people he has promised to protect from threats that surround the city. Duke Aernoud van Brabant responded with that in such a position the kingdom would have to negotiate with him and that his people may also feel the desire to secede from the kingdom.

He went on further to state that he believes he had been left with no other choices beyond this extreme path he has taken, adding that "This may have been their intention all along. Force me into this position." I repeated that despite his beliefs that he should seek out Lord Protector Mortimer and Regent Zellani Simmons to deliberate and negotiate on these issues, but he remained adamant that such concerns would not be heeded and would be roundly ignored. He said that his responsibilities came from the King and reiterated that the Council continues to usurp the throne, whilst "Mortimer stands by and does nothing". As our conversation evolved he went further to state that he believed something more constructive should be done beyond talk, and that the kingdom needed a stronger foundation to survive upon, adding "I will not have it (the kingdom) drag down those I am responsible for down with it. Not again." The conversation drew to a close shortly after, Aernoud unmoving from his beliefs that the kingdom was being usurped by the Council and I had left.

I want to reiterate that Duke Aernoud van Brabant loves his people and the city which he and his ancestors have called home for centuries. It is telling from previous conversations and the concern he has shown in the past for his people. However his seditious words and his latest actions against the kingdom have marred this reputation. His words seem more of a man who has fallen into his own delusions of what he believes is right despite numerous attempts by his companions and countrymen to sway him from this path. For the safety of his people and the kingdom, I can not condone these actions.

Dame Ania Elyssia Viranirn of the Kingdom of Kohlingen.
---
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #008

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #008 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Deanic Hadel.

Sworn Affidavit
I, Deanic Hadel, swear that this is a true account of my experience and impressions pertaining to the individual known as Aernoud Van Brabant.

From what I have gathered of people in my time here, Aernoud is known as a down-to-earth man who has the concerns of his people first and foremost in his mind. Many call him friend. And the actions he has taken lately have left many of those people in confusion.

Sadly, I do not know the man well enough to count myself among his friends. But I trust my friends and close ones who have vouched for his character.

I do however believe that he has become unfit to lead people in his current state and will outline my reasons below, with quotes to highlight what I mean.
  • Distrust towards the Council and particularly his purported friend, the Queen Regent.
  • Actions taken that have fractured Kohlingen.
  • Actions taken that have endangered the Royal family
  • Paranoid delusions about “Harpers” plotting to set up a shadow government.
  • Refusal to admit his own actions may be ill advised or (self-)destructive in nature.
  • Failure to discuss misgivings with the rest of the court, rather than just leap into unwise action.
In our latest conversation Aernoud made the claim that Zellani is making a play for the throne. I brought up the fact that as Queen Regent she would eventually step aside for her son. Three times I had to insist on the question before he would address it. In his words “That's not the point. She's not first in the line of succession. If she was, it would be her right to make her son her heir, and abdicate in his favour. But, she is not.”

It is my opinion that this is inflexible to the point where it draws not Zellani’s understanding of her role in the court into question, but Aernoud’s own ability to assess what’s best for Kohlingen. Or what the word “Regent” means. Even though, farcically, he insists that others do not understand it.

This does not even touch on his repeated and shameless accusation of Zellani being a Harper. The potential dire consequences of which the island is no stranger to, even in its most recent history, where another lady was attacked by Sharrans as a direct consequence. Aernoud did not show any understanding of the dangers of this, nor did he take any responsibility for his part in how he is inflaming the political landscape.

After a long conversation trying to get him to see that his harper accusation was a piss poor gambit, he contradictingly stated “Besides.. her being a Harper is unfortunately the lesser problem.” This despite him having just tried desperately to make a case that Harpers are little better than Sharrans, because both employ secrecy.

When we then told him it would be a bad idea to be so blasé and unsympathetic about this matter at the trial, he asked why. Despite me having outlined exactly why moments earlier. Showing that he had either not listened to the arguments I had made, or not understood them or seen them as a problem. Or that he is perhaps not of sound mind.

The entire conversation was vexing and confusing. Aernoud seems to operate on his own logic that no one else seems able to understand. When I asked him to clarify what his position actually was in no uncertain terms. His response was “I would rather not, before the trial.”.

Perhaps courtly proceedings are beyond a mind as simple as mine. But it is my humble opinion that paranoid delusions and trust issues have degraded Aernoud’s ability to function properly in his capacity as Duke.

I have seen hints that he knows how bad things are. Deep down. Before I left him last time. He was asked if he could see a duchy without him in it. He answered with what seemed like a forlorn “Yes”.

I cannot judge if it is sickness or his mind, or simply exhaustion with his responsibility… or something else entirely that has brought this on. But I advocate leniency in his punishment, on the grounds that I do not see a malicious man in all this.

Herald Deanic Hadel
---
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

Prosecution Evidence Exhibit #009

Lady Zellani Simmons submits Exhibit #009 into evidence for the Prosecution regarding the case of Simmons v. Van Brabant.

A first-hand sworn testimony account by Ruth Winter.

Sworn Affidavit
I, Ruth Winter, Scion of Siamorphe attached to the Chapel and Chalice of the Divine Right in Waterdeep, submit the following as true, in the name of Siamorphe.

On Uktar 4, I was summoned to the Counsel of Kohlingen to divine if Zellani Simmons has the blessing of Siamorphe to rule the Kingdom of Kohlingen. Siamorphe approves of Zellani Simmons. That was the first I knew of this situation, and I thought I was there to confirm something sought by the Counsel.

On Uktar 11, I was summonned by Aernoud van Brabant. He was in the company of a kobold named Kurchin. I felt he assumed that if he spoke on behalf of the kobold, I would assume the kobold was good, but it only made me question if van Brabant was evil. During that interview, I asked Siamorphe if the two I faced were noble in spirit, and she confirmed they were. This means they care about the people they govern and desire to bring about their prosperity, even at personal cost. I apologized to Kurchin, although I would clarify that having this care and desire from a kobold still does not necessarily mean he is good. At any case, it soon became clear that van Brabant wanted me to clarify the communion I had with The Divine Right. Once I made it clear that Simmons is fit to rule, and has the blessing to be made Queen, he became agitated, and insisted this was an overturning of the legitimacy of the heir designated by the King. He asked for proof that I was indeed a Scion of Siamorphe, and I suppose he got it directly from her. After that, he insisted that Simmons, having taken the throne, would not step down from it when her son came of age.

It seems he was seeking what he called "the highest legitimacy", and wanted me to say the prince had that. Siamorphe is clear on this: Nobles are given a divine right to rule, provided they ruled responsibly and well. A two year old doesn't fit this. Siamorphe would not approve of placing one so young on the throne. At this time, Simmons has a higher claim, because she has the welfare of her people foremost in her mind, and she works toward this welfare at personal cost. And this legitimacy is further underscored by her not claiming the monarchy, but insisting she is holding the seat until the majority of her son. I ended the interview and commended van Brabant to the kobold Kurchin, seeing that van Brabant was becoming too agigated for me to want to deal with.

On Uktar 19, I was once more summoned by van Brabant. He said he wanted to understand Siamorphe's teaching better. It seemed to me that he was seeking to find the Councel of Kohlingen over-stepping its bounds by asking Simmons to be Queen. He stated that he wanted the Lord Protector to rule, as the King had said that he would rule until the majority of the Prince, but then said he didn't trust the Lord Protector. He asked if he himself was fit to be a ruler, and I had to honestly say no. He has put his people at risk by leaving them unprotected. He doesn't support the rulers of his kingdom, and has actively acted against them. He doesn't care for the realm as a whole, just his own duchy. I believe if Siamorphe were asked if he should remain duke in his area, she would say no. My personal opinion is that he has become paranoid, and should seek a place where his mind can be healed.

Ruth Winter
The bag of felt holds the jewels of fate.
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

Jes wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:05 pm Entry of Evidence:
Aernoud Van Brabant

Aernoud Van Brabant: Evidence of Innocence

Charges:
  • Treason. Breaking an oath to the Crown or Duke. If there is a conflict of oaths, the Crown oath supersedes an oath to the Duke.
    Usurpation. Falsely claiming authority and privileges.
    Blasphemy. Insulting the gods or abusing their names.

1. Laws of the Kingdom: A copy of the Kingdom laws is included.
    • → Treason, Usurpation, Blasphemy are not Laws of the Kingdom
  2. Laws of the Duchy: A copy of the Duchy laws is included.
    • → “By royal investiture, the Duke holds the authority to judge criminal acts undertaken within the Duchy, and enact the appropriate penalties.”
  3. Letter From The Duke:
    • Elorathall wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 pm The newly invested Duke of Kohlingen (not to be confused with the King of Kohlingen) takes up his rule without much pomp and ceremony (thus far). It begins with a long walk through his lands, and much note-taking and planning. Then there are meetings in the city hall, and a letter prepared, posted, and spoken.

Letter From The Duke
      People of the Kingdom,

Through hard and determined work, and together with many friends, we have reclaimed our old home from the blight of the undead. For this, I am grateful, and give thanks to the gods.

Our Majesty, King Gregory, has lifted me up as Duke of Kohlingen. For this, I am humbled and honoured.

Many have suffered for our future. I intend to honour your sacrifice and your endurance.

Kohlingen will not be as she once was. But with your dedication, help, and faith, it will become a jewel of our young kingdom.

Right now, there are stones to be cleared, trees to be cut, and houses to be repaired.
      Soon there will be crops to plant, trade to rebuild, and walls to be manned. (And beer to be brewed.)
      Gods willing, Kohlingen will once again be home to farmers and craftsmen, soldiers and traders, scholars and priests.

To those who have not yet made Cystana their home, I invite you to join me.

- Aernoud Van Brabant, Duke of Kohlingen

Those who seek out more information will quickly find themselves directed to sign up with their name and profession at the city hall.
  4. Oath of Fealty
    • At the coronation of King and Queen, Aernoud spoke: “Before these witnesses and under the gods.. I, Aernoud Van Brabant, offer my fealty and homage to King Gregory Simmons of Kohlingen.” Gregory: “Then I humbly accept your fealty, Lord Brabant.”
      BagOfFelt wrote:I, Ayarissa Hakkin-Allahntaka, Scion of Siamorphe attached to the Kingdom of Kohlingen, submit the following as true, in the name of Siamorphe.

That on the coronation day of King Gregory Simmons and Queen Zellani Simmons, that Aernoud van Brabant, a Lord at that time, gave his oath of featly to King Gregory Simmons only, and not to Queen Zellani Simmons.

Ayarissa Hakkin-Allahntaka
  5. Proof of Entitlement
    • Bag of Felt wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:31 pm
      Title Warrant

To all to whom these presents shall come or may be interested hereby:

Greetings

Whereas we, having fully considered the requested Title Appointment
      And whereas, finding that all requirements for the Title of Duke having been fully met
      And whereas, right and just cause exists for the granting of such Title,

Therefore Our Will and Pleasure is, and We do hereby give, grant, declare and ordain, by Our special favor and power, that from and after the date of this Our warrant, Aernoud van Brabant shall be styled, entitled and called
      Duke Aernoud van Brabant
      In addition to and before all other styles, titles, and appellation which to him are due, or at any time hereafter may belong or appertain in all deeds, records, instruments or documents whatsoever, wherein he may at any time hereafter be named or described, and We do hereby authorize and empower him, henceforth to assume and have, and to be called and named by the Title and Appelation accordingly, and this title may be given to his decendants

And he is awarded the lands known as the City of Kohlingen as his right to order and protect in the name of the Crown

And We do hereby authorize and empower the said duke henceforth to assume and use and to be called and named by the style, title and attribute with all rights, privileges and honors thereto pertaining

Accordingly Our Will and Pleasure further is that this Our Title Warrent to be recorded in any office, public or private, deemed necessary and just, that all other may take due notice in Witness

In witness thereof we have affixed Our signatures and Offical Seal

Gregory Simmons, King ____________________ Zellani Simmons, Queen
  6. Oaths + Legitimacy by Siamorphe
    • Attesting the following statements:
      • Ayarissa, Priestess of Siamorphe: “Will your sword be pledged to the monarchy of Kohlingen, and put the needs of the Kingdom above all else?”
        Aernoud: “Yes, I will”.
        Ayarissa, Priestess of Siamorphe: “And before all of those gathered you have been granted the title of Kohlingen’s Duchy.”
      Elyon wrote:I was there at the wedding of the Duke Aernoud Van Brabant and Lady Ilythalu Thunderhammer, alongside the King Gregory Simmons and various invited guests of the island. The priestess of Siamorphe asked if he would defend the monarchy of Kohlingen, and put the needs of the Kingdom above all else, to which the Duke responded with "I do." ~Rosary Doodlekins
  7. Census information:
    • A copy of the following document is submitted.
      Jes wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:10 am Important Personnel

King: Gregory Simmons [Deceased]
      Regent: Zellani Simmons
      Crown Prince: James Simmons
      Lord Protector: Lord Walter Mortimer

Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen
      Thoven Shieldheart
      Lady Johanna Evington
      Sir Winston Cunningham
      Lord Laterius Parmunster

Ambassador: Vacant
      Magister: Vacant
      Captain of the Guard/Silver Dragons: Sir Charles Navare
      Commander of the Platinum Knights: Platinum Commander Melinius Corian
      Captain of the Platinum Knights: Lady Hope

High Priestess of Ilmater: Lady Kellinanah
      High Priest of Torm: Lord William Haulfest
      High Priest of Tyr: Lord Randolph

Nobles of Kohlingen - Living individuals who have been Knighted or Ennobled, or living descendants/spouses thereof. ((PC's))
      Duke Aernoud Van Brabant
      ---Duchess Ilythalu Van Brabant. Spouse
      Lady Vera Talen
      Lord Marcus Valis
      ---Lady Merilyn Chrysonomos Valis, Spouse
      Lord Lazarus Parmunster
      Sir Khayri Aphaeleon
      ---Lady Sali Aphaeleon, Spouse
      Sir Crevan Allan
      King Whurak Thunderhammer
      Sir Rafe Galer
      People of Kohlingen- Politically active residents or guests of the Kingdom. ((PC's))
      Sir Albrect Gulderhom, Knight of Tethyr
      Sir Sebastien Clairmont Chevalier, Knight of Cormyr
      Adofhaor
      Murtaugh Gunn

It seems the official posting of nobility and inferred court-related, political benefits was updated by the new Kohlingen officials from City Hall.
  8. Assassin's Letter:
    • "You have your target of Duke Aernoud, attack at night use the scroll to conceal a dagger as tattoo. No doubt rumors have already reached him and he is to be silenced before he can be questioned in court.

[At the bottom of the page would be the official seal of arms for Fort Cystana.]
Bag of Felt

Post by Bag of Felt »

Jes wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:41 pm Entry of Evidence:
Aernoud Van Brabant

Council Members: Evidence of Guilt

Charges:
  • Lord Walter Mortimer: Treason, for willfully betraying his charge as Lord Protector by supporting acts to usurp the king’s authority, and Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.
    Lord Laterius Parmunster: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.
    Lady Johanna Evington: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.
    Lord Winston Cunningham: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.
    Thoven Shieldheart: Usurpation, for claiming the authority to overrule the king’s decrees.
  1. Kingdom of Kohlingen - Leadership:
    • Attesting the following:
      → James Simmons is recognized as Crown Prince - heir to the throne

The following document is provided:
      Jes wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 am
      Leadership Personnel for the Kingdom of Kohlingen

Royal Family
      King Gregory Simmons [abdicated]
      Regent Zellani Simmons
      Crown Prince James Simmons

Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen
      Lord Protector Walter Mortimer
      Regent Zellani Simmons
      Thoven Shieldheart
      Lady Johanna Evington
      Lord Winston Cunningham
      Lord Laterius Parmunster

Other Personnel

Lord Marshal of the Silver Dragons
      Lord Winston Cunningham

Captain of the Silver Dragons
      Sir Charles Navarre

Court Physician
      --vacant--

Magister
      --vacant--

Additional Information

Census Results: Flamerule, 1388 DR
  2. Statement from Ania on declaration of the heir:
    • Submitting the following statement:
      • Ania Viranirn confirms that she witnessed the son being decreed the heir of the late King Gregory Simmons when first born.
  3. Direct accountability of vassals
    • Attesting that King Gregory Simmons once stated, "I must ensure the vassals of the kingdom are directly accountable to me."
  4. Attesting the following:
    • Every vassal in the kingdom should be directly accountable to him [the King] personally.
  5. Land Ownership in Kohlingen
    • The following document is provided:
      Elorathall wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 pm
      Land Ownership in Kohlingen
      People of the Kingdom,

The renewal of Kohlingen is proceeding apace. Much debris and deadwood has already been cleared. Gods willing, we will soon be ready to rebuild what may.

Unfortunately, many records and deeds have been lost to the Fall.
      As such, I invite all with rightful claims to land and property in the old city to present their claim to me before Tarsakh 15 of the current year.
      Beyond this date, unclaimed and unrecognized land will default to the Duchy for redistribution.

- Duke Aernoud of Kohlingen
      Attesting to the following:
      → No claim to the land was ever received.
  6. Abdication of the King:
      Jes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 amFormal notice of King Gregory Simmons

I, King Gregory Simmons of Kohlingen, formally abdicate my seat as King of Kohlingen effective immediately. The council shall act as my role until a suitable heir has been selected. My son is far too young for the burden and if the illness I have been struck with takes my life, I wish to have spent it with my family.

I fought for you as Kohlingen fell, I fought for you as we settled on unknown land and I have fought for you to overcome this illness which saps at my mortal life.

I have never been more proud to serve as your King, your Justicar, and your Knight.

- Gregory Simmons

Underscoring thus:
    • I, King Gregory Simmons of Kohlingen, formally abdicate my seat as King of Kohlingen effective immediately. The council shall act as my role until a suitable heir has been selected. My son is far too young for the burden and if the illness I have been struck with takes my life, I wish to have spent it with my family.
    Attesting the following:
    • After deliberation with the council, the representatives cast a vote and elected Lord Walter Mortimer as Lord Protector to maintain the Throne for fifteen years until his highness Prince James Simmons is able to ascend the throne himself.
    • → a suitable heir had already been named, and never un-named.
      → the council had been charged to appoint a Lord Protector with the express purpose of maintaining the throne and protecting the monarchy - the succession.
  7. Demand for renewal of oaths
      Dear Residents of Kohlingen,

The council has agreed we will need to reinstate all formal titles, lands and holdings upon the confirmation of Fort Cystana as the Kohlingen Captial City. Vows shall be renewed and all entitlements reviewed for all purposes, not exclusive to: legal, organizational and emergency. This shall clear up all matters of responsibility, in hopes of bringing transparency and direction in times of need.

If nobles are unavailable, gone, disappeared, no will, no money, no traces, no accessible children; their lands and/or titles may be offered to another prepared for the weight upon their shoulders.

Why now? With the recent catastrophe at the Construction Site, we wish to improve our handling of urgent matters. With leadership comes responsibility, a pledge to aid the Kingdom of Kohlingen accordingly to their duties.

With that in mind, we are calling all noble-titled personnel and outlying vassals to come before the Council and renew their oaths. All those bearing titles and do not come forth are assumed to have forfeited their position. We also address these matters to those without titles. If you believe you can be of assistance, please visit the council in the next meeting.

Best,

~Lord Winston Cunningham, Duke of Whitestag.
      Underscoring thus:
      • "we are calling all noble-titled personnel and outlying vassals to come before the Council and renew their oaths".
  8. Final Drafting of Ennobled Duties and Ranking:
      Bag of Felt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:31 pm
      The Lord Protector of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Lord Protector of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
      • The Lord Protector acts as the head of military and the chair of the Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen.
      • The Lord Protector must come from a branch of military service to the crown AND be temporarily removed from any deed/title to land or other political oversight. Any deed/titles/oversight will remain in the custody of the Council and the kingdom of Kohlingen, communally and with elected representation through Assembly.
      • The Lord Protector must weigh in on official matters and ensure the smooth administration of the Kingdom in the stead of the Crown, when the Crown is unable to rule.
      • The Lord Protector must abide the guidance of the Council as a whole with regard to edicts or proclamations presented by the Lord Protector, in order to ensure that the people's interests and well-being come first.
      • The Lord Protector must be respected and welcomed by all applicable citizenry and/or a visitor to the kingdom.
      • Each year, on the anniversary of inauguration, the Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen will review and confirm or deny the continuation of the Lord Protector's service.
      • Should the Lord Protector be removed by the Council, the Council will elect a new Lord Protector immediately (as soon as possible, even in times of war).
      • In the event that the Lord Protector acts treasonous toward the people of the Kingdom of Kohlingen, the Council may hold an emergency session to vote to remove the current Lord Protector.
      • REMOVAL vote requires two-thirds majority to pass, and the Council will elect a new Lord Protector immediately (i.e. above); TEMPORARY "decommission" vote requires only half.
      • Elections for a new Lord Protector must pass by two-thirds majority, and will require discussion by dissenting party; if unanimous, Council will provide summary of agreement details.
      • The position of Lord Protector shall remain filled and honored until 22 Marpenoth, 1404 DR, when Prince James Gregory Simmons comes of age and is crowned King in ceremony by decree of the king (his father).
      • Prince/King Gregory is fully empowered to adjust, delay, elongate and otherwise modify the time-sensitive and legal terms regarding Protectorate circumstances.
      • The Dowager Queen Zellani Cys'dina may speak for the Crown Prince until age of mental acuity, as his Regent, in equality with the rest of the Council.
      The Council of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Council of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
      • The Council oversees the administration of the Kingdom, working together with the Lord Protector to ensure that all administrative issues and necessities are met.
      • The Council will offer guidance and resources to the Lord Protector as they deem fit, to help ensure that the Lord Protector is able to fulfill all duties to the utmost ability.
      • The Council first and foremost serves the people of the Kingdom of Kohlingen and must always serve their best interests.
      • The Council appoints new members of the Council with a majority vote. The Council will only add additional seats to Council for additional needed communal representation.
      • The Council will meet at least monthly for public review and considerations; the expected outcome is at least weekly, once settled in new capital city.
      • The Council must always have at least one representative outside of the noble caste of the Kingdom of Kohlingen, to ensure that at least one voice will always be that of the people they serve.
      • Each member of the Council may submit one name to the ballot for a new Lord Protector. As each new election must pass with a two-thirds vote, elimination votes may take place to limit the number of nominees.
      • If there is a Regent to an underaged Monarch, the Regent sits on the Council, and is co-equal with them.
      • All members of the Council must be listed in a transparent manner, including any applicable secondary titles or roles, so that the people always know who they can approach with their concerns or appeals.
      • Each member is entitled to grant temporary authorization of a representative to the Council for their duties/obligations, with prior Council approval.
      • Authority of the Dukes and anyone else are subject to the Council's unanimous decree, as represented by the People of the Kingdom of Kohlingen as a Whole.
      • First, the Council oversees, administrates and serves the people. Not the Dukes. Not the King or Lord Protector first and foremost. The People: All the people.

Current Councilors' Duties/Obligations:
      • Councilor Duke Laterius Parmunster, Royal Seneshal; Intelligence Officer; Business and Manor Development; Diplomatic Affairs. Responsible for overall Council funds summary/allocation.
      • Councilor Duke Winston Cunningham. Lord Marshal of the Silver Dragons; Council General; Militia Moderator; Ranger, Master Scout and Cavalry Training. Responsible for funding and scheduling routing and security on Trade Way/through Construction Sites
      • Councilor Lady Johanna Evington; Royal Exchequer; Tax and Documentation; Kingdom Licensing and Litigation; Naval and Harbormaster Office, All responsibilities targeted at financial stability of the kingdom.
      • Thoven Shieldheart; Common-born, Educated; City Planning; Construction Management; Academy, Employment and Small Business Advisor, Responsible for funding and scheduling Construction; Setting Guild Dues; First Speaker of Commons Assembly.
      The Dukes of the Kingdom of KohlingenThe Dukes of the Kingdom of Kohlingen hold duties and obligations thus:
      • The Dukes of the Kingdom act as representatives of the Crown to the people under their charge.
        Dukes of the Kingdom oversee an allotment of land which is transformed into a Duchy, per the Crown's or Council's decrees.
      • The Dukes must swear fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, via the Council, before the King or Lord Protector. The King or Lord Protector acts as executor to this oath.
      • Ducal oath must be renewed every year or with any appointment of a new Lord Protector, by voice and writ.
      • Duchies within the Kingdom must uphold the laws of the Kingdom. Duchies may have their own laws in amendment to the Kingdom's laws, but Crown Law holds precedence over Ducal Law,. and any amendments are to be submitted to the Council for approval..
      • If Duchies post Laws without submission or any indication of gathering approval from the Council and the People (of the entire Kingdom), they must submit themselves to formal review by the Council and a need to review their responsibilities and renew their sworn oaths.
      • If a Duchy has no Council-approved posted laws, the Kingdom's posted laws in the Capital apply.
      • The Dukes of the Kingdom may train and arm their own guards in addition to the guards of the Kingdom, and may request to add or remove Kingdom guards as appropriate.
      • Should a Duke behave treasonous toward the Crown and Council, any member of the Council may call upon a trial to determine if the Duke's title should be stripped due to their actions. The Council may only do this if there is a provable threat to the safety and stability of the Kingdom or its people.
      • The Dukes otherwise adhere to the duties and obligations of the Noble Caste of Kohlingen.
      • The Dukes will lead their militiamen to battle personally and with expediency if the safety of any of the kingdom is threatened.
      Current Dukes' Duties/Obligations:
      • Duke Laterius Parmunster; Cystana; Business, Development and Diplomatic and Religious Relations
      • Duke Winston Cunningham; Whitestag; Hunting, Ranging and Army Reserve Training
      • Duke Aernoud Van Brabant; Greengarden; Farming, Supplying and Minding the Realm's Routine Affairs
      Current Borders:
      • Fort Cystana:
        • Parmunster Family and Estate; South Cystana
        • Simmons Family and Estate; Central and Sea
        • Mortimer Family and Estate; North and Military Outposts
      • Whitestag:
        • Cunningham Family and Estate: Local Shores and North Pass
      • Greengarden:
        • Van Brabant Family and Estate; Greengarden and its Outskirts
        • Tanner Household; Old City Grounds and Radiant Garden
        • Eddington Household; Fey Lake and Manfried/Montgomery Manors

The Noble Caste of the Kingdom of Kohlingen The Noble Caste of the Kingdom of Kohlingen holds duties and obligations thus:
      • Each head of a noble house must swear fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, via the Council, before the King or Lord Protector. The King or Lord Protector acts as executor to this oath. This oath must be renewed every year or with any appointment of a new Lord Protector.
      • Nobles of the Kingdom represent the honor and soul of the Kingdom. They serve the people just as the Council does, and each noble house should make an effort to invest or head projects for the betterment of the Kingdom or its people.
      • Noble houses will be held to a standard of behavior, as overseen by the Council of Kohlingen. Should the Council feel that a noble house or individual noble has dishonored the Kingdom, any member of the Council may call upon a trial to determine if the noble's title should be stripped. Further reparations may be due by other members of the noble house in order to maintain their titles.
      • Nobles with land ownership or other inheritance may follow doctrine of Siamorphe or otherwise engage in adoption or transition of holdings/duties/etc.
      • Title and/or Lands Removal; Dishonorable Discharges; Reparations: All are subject to the concept of established precedent, of which there is none yet.
      Underscoring thus:
      • “Authority of the Dukes and anyone else are subject to the Council's unanimous decree, as represented by the People of the Kingdom of Kohlingen as a Whole.”
        “First, the Council oversees, administrates and serves the people. Not the Dukes. Not the King or Lord Protector first and foremost. The People: All the people.”
        “The Dukes of the Kingdom act as representatives of the Crown to the people under their charge. Dukes of the Kingdom oversee an allotment of land which is transformed into a Duchy, per the Crown's or Council's decrees.”
        “The Dukes must swear fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, via the Council, before the King or Lord Protector. The King or Lord Protector acts as executor to this oath.
  9. Council declaration:
      Bag of Felt wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:01 pm The Kingdom of Kohlingen Council met and have handed down the following decisions:
      • The City of Kohlingen has been renamed to Greengarden to alleviate confusion between the city and the kingdom. The lands being vast, it has been divided into districts for governing.
        Greengarden: Duke Aernoud Van Brabant currently governs in the district known as Greengarden in the Name of the Crown, with all subjects there swearing alliegence to the Crown in the person of the Duke, just as the Duke swears to the Crown in the person of the Lord/Lady Protector or the Regent if the Crown is unavailable/under aged. Area of governance is Greengarden and its outskirts.
        Feylake: Lady Rose Eddington currently governs in the district area known as Feylake in the Name of the Crown, with all subjects there swearing alliegence to the Crown in the person of the Lady, just as the Lady swears to the Crown in the person of the Lord/Lady Protector or the Regent if the Crown is unavailable/under aged. Area of governance is Feylake, Feylake West, and the Manor Grounds. Large portions of this area are currently unable to be repopulated due to undead. Efforts to clear this out are under way.
        The Old City: Sir James Tanner currently governs in the district area known as The Old City in the Name of the Crown, with all subjects there swearing alliegence to the Crown in the person of the Knight, just as the Knight swears to the Crown in the person of the Lord/Lady Protector or the Regent if the Crown is unavailable/under aged. Area of governance is The Old City and The Radiant Garden peninsula. Large portions of this area are currently unable to be repopulated due to infestation of vermin and radiation from the Possitive Plane. Efforts to clear this out are under way.

Underscoring thus:
      • “The City of Kohlingen has been renamed to Greengarden to alleviate confusion between the city and the kingdom. The lands being vast, it has been divided into districts for governing.”
        An edit was made to the Laws of the Duchy of Greengarden to further explain Treason.”
  10. Public Court Gathering, 4 Uktar, 1390 DR:
      Elorathall wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:29 pm Public Court Gathering - ((04/11/2022))
      Present: Lady Zellani, Lord Aernoud, Ania, Rosary, Wilfire, Devlin, Corrick, Galan, Malandria, Mendal ((NPC))

1. Introduction of the Regent
      A. News:Scion Ruth of Siamorphe legitimized Lady Zellani’s claim to the throne via Commune

ADD: Lady Zellani stated: Scion Ruth of Siamorphe legitimized Lady Zellani’s claim to the throne via Commune

Siamorphe has given blessing for Lady Zellani to take the throne, and is supported by Council.
      Lady Zellani will seek the support of the people before final confirmation, acting as regent on behalf of the crown prince in the meantime.

B. The Council has returned the lands of Greengarden previously split to Aernoud

ADD: Lady Zellani stated: The Council has returned the lands of Greengarden previously split to Aernoud
      The lands had been granted by the king, and it was not within the right of the council to overturn this.

C. Looking for new hires (Guards, civil, etc.)

Question raised by Duke Aernoud: should the defenders remain centralized into a single standing force, or should marshalling defenders be left to local lords. Points raised:
      - the available population in the kingdom varies wildly by location
      - Ania: it is a question of quality vs cost (and the availability of funds for other investments)
      - Aernoud: the realm would be pressed to support one standing man-at-arms for each one hundred of its people.

D. Trade considerations

ADD: Lady Zellani:
      The kingdom is open to trade considerations, with new shops opening.
      We will reach out to remaining groups of citizens on the mainland.

Galan: is there a possibility to establish a permanent trade house for Winya merchants.
      - This becomes an open possibility to discuss once construction is closer to finishing.

2. Construction Site
      A. Discuss the proposed Cleansing Ritual
      The magical taint on the area used not only divine and arcane magic but also all six spell schools. Malandria is leading the development of a ritual to cleanse the land. The ritual will require both arcane disjunctions and divine healing of the land.
      Several spell schools are involved, and the creatures/area are resistant to spells.

Lord Gregory Simmons may be essential to this ritual. Lord Simmons has been drawn to the area, speaking of a mission since being sent back by the Red Knight. There was also a vision or prophecy by the Salandrans that the Red Knight is involved in the matter.
      Aernoud: perhaps the involvement of Lord Gregory is part of some form of atonement due to the outcome of the battle, being a needless massacre. If not for intervention, Cystana may have been lost.

B. Allocate individual Cleansing responsibilities

Spellcasters of many different traditions will be required, and defenders of the ritual. The kingdom will contribute defenders. The grove will lend their rangers to assist. Ania may petition the council of Winya Ravana for additional support.

C. Set a time for the Cleansing Ritual

The ritual will be planned for the coming tendays. (( A doodle will be made ))

3. State of Greengarden
      A. Status of undead

The undead began rising when the old manor collapsed. The source is yet unknown, but may be due to the one-time presence of the necromancer Lord Manfred.
      Lord Aernoud will speak with Jarkil

B. Status of positive-energized animals

Investigation into the positive energy rifts is ongoing. They are causing both bountiful sea life for fishing, but also aggressive and overly large creatures.

Corrick will investigate how to contain the rifts so the results are more manageable.

C. Cats for the rat problem

Malandria and Lord Aernoud will attempt to speak with the rats. Note: they may have settled into the old sewers.

D. Everguard dispatched

Everguard will be sent to reinforce Greengarden against the current threats.

4. Diplomacy
      A. Requesting help from allies with Greengarden issues
      B. Check-in with allies, see if any help is needed

It would be good to formalize borders and agreements with the neighbours of the kingdom. This can be done once resettlement finishes.

C. Announce Harvest Festival

To be done this month, in Greengarden. Lord Aernoud to organize.

D. Announce Platinum Winter Gala

To be done in Cystana. Lady Zellani to organize.

- Noted by Lord Aernoud Van Brabant
      Underscoring thus:
      • “Lady Zellani stated: Scion Ruth of Siamorphe legitimized Lady Zellani’s claim to the throne via Commune. Siamorphe has given blessing for Lady Zellani to take the throne, and is supported by Council.
        Lady Zellani will seek the support of the people before final confirmation, acting as regent on behalf of the crown prince in the meantime.”
        “Lady Zellani stated: The Council has returned the lands of Greengarden previously split to Aernoud
        The lands had been granted by the king, and it was not within the right of the council to overturn this.”
  11. Public Court Gathering, 12 Uktar, 1390 DR:
      Jes wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:54 pm Public Court Gathering, 12 Uktar, 1390 DR

Attendees
      • Lady Zellani Simmons
        Lord Lazarus Parmunster
        Ania Viranirn
        Corrick Vostryl
        Devlin Faramond
        Kurchin
        Galandizax
        Malandria
        Fendall Spellworthy
        Rosary Doodlekins
        Deanic Hadel
        Wilfire Strongfeet

Topics
      1. Greengarden, Duke Van Brabant, & Lady Zellani
        • Zellani reassures those gathered that she has no desire to make this into a military campaign. She doesn't want anyone to come to blows over it.
        • Zellani will be visiting Greengarden later with some Everguard to seek a peaceful solution once more.
        • Winya wishes to maintain neutrality, and Ania's support is personal business.
      2. Open the floor to concerns/questions
        • Galandizax asked about what happened at the gates of Greengarden on the 9th and Zellani shared what happened in detail, including the message she delivered and Aernoud's response to it.
        • Zellani reiterated that she does not seek the crown. She was asked to consider taking the throne and has stated she will only do so if the people want her to. She has acted since only as Regent, which is her lawful position.
        • Deanic asked about punishments and harshness regarding the arrest warrant. Zelly indicated that all factors would be taken into account and that she would not be presiding over the trial. That is the High Priests' duty - namely Randolph of Tyr.
      3. Cleansing information
        • Corrick will begin the circle casting of Disjunction over the area.
        • Malandria will gather the remaining casters to attend her casting of a ritual cleansing spell - utilizing any healing magics that other casters can cast.
        • Those of martial training will fan out and circle the casters, protecting them.
      Underscoring thus:
      • “Zellani reiterated that she does not seek the crown. She was asked to consider taking the throne and has stated she will only do so if the people want her to. She has acted since only as Regent, which is her lawful position.”