[Locations within] Essay: The Nature of Good and Evil (and The Grey Wastes Between)

This forum contains articles, research papers, novels, histories, dictionaries, poems, prayer books... everything you'd find in a library.
Dunecat

[Locations within] Essay: The Nature of Good and Evil (and The Grey Wastes Between)

Post by Dunecat »

A small leather-bound book is available in a library of Belenoth. It claims to be 1,5 edition of the essay - bound in Belenoth, authored by Samantha.
Everblurred wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 am
---

Dear reader, if any of you exist,

I have been away from writing for ten years or so- at least, in the public files of the Cordorian Commonwealth and the now-named Kingdom of Cetha.

Cetha- a celestial word, denoting some kind of honor. Curious, to see Cordor turn Cetha, the city that had never wanted any roots off the Prime Material Plane at all.

Kohlingen- now has two main island settlements; old Kohlingen and Fort Cystana. (The land previously Chalkcliff? Actand? How Planar is it?)

Much else has changed, such as Ostland and its tree. The Arcanum defeated by the Harpers and adventurers of Amia. Obiryths, fey, otherworldly beings addressed in tandem.

Dirk has moved on from West but recently retired from public office as new blood is beginning to adorn the mantle.

What do you think of Good and Evil? Is Cetha Good? Kohlingen? What of Dirk, the once-prisoner of the Holy City?

...is he Evil?? Maybe. We will discuss.

- S
Everblurred wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:06 pm Installment 2.2

The numerical system doesn't really make sense, does it?

Not yet, at least.

Lately, I've found myself to once again be the pariah of the social circles of what some might call popularized adventurers.

When I first came to Amia, the "cool" kids were Krin and Scarlet Shadowflame, their children Erik and Nevaeh (and the rest of the family); the Windleaf and Indrire families; the (once) secretive Harpers and the Kenlyls.

Actually, come to think of it, there were legitimate Amian -families- of all sorts and sizes. No wonder it feels more... blunted. Stagnant. Vapid?

No, not vapid, but something that equally ascribes a lack of content and variability to the local environment- and not just a person's mind.

It used to be such a melting pot of creatures, including and not limited to the basic lines of elves and halflings and humans. Now, it's rare I see any of those- I'm the most normal one around. And I'm not that normal, friends.

Regardless, what does it mean when the typical Amian adventurer has politely but not overtly blacklisted you? It means one has to be assertive, which is a struggle for many here; they go too far and become aggressive (myself being a culprit of this multiple times as well) or deem it troublesome and passivity the victor.

Erelkacha may be the least passive humanoid- and perhaps even an old, just your regular Shriner-drow baseline of the islands- and the new best median or mean of the average Amian adventurer. The popularized ones currently are almost all dragonkind or disciples of such. And didn't we have TWO flights? You'd think.. you'd think the dragons would move on?

I think the angel being came back briefly, but disappeared again- they must have some weird Time shit involved in their minds like mine has become post-Arcanum. Melsa, I remember her discussing the Phane- I wonder- how many others? Were trapped there? Is there no record of this?

I have not found it. I will look and inquire more thoroughly, but it seems prudent to be inclusive in the details, and perhaps even time for the truths of the Harpers to be more fully revealed from that era. The prominent Harper mage Ulrik Valis wrote Kohlinger treatises on various Arcanum and Morteguarde intricacies, but was possibly gone, by the time of Phane. Asya was a useful magic resource regarding the finality of that war, alas, even Obsidian Isle has lost the Voidmage.

Ah, that's the answer; there's an Amian Void. There are missing past persons who lurk, but cannot fully commit to returning. There are less young, bright, new barefaced adventurers than the boatloads that used to arrive when Southport was shining Cordorian Commonwealth with Trystana's golden temple.

Apparently there's not even a high chance of there being dragon turtle remains for collection in the bay, rumor has it. I wonder if anyone has put on some Gills and gone diving yet. Old Cordorians and those gondola boys would've been finished cleaning the whole canalway of dragon turtle and everything else, if I do say so myself.

Say, we didn't discuss much Good or Evil- but- that's what the Grey Wastes are for, eh? The In Between. The Grey Matter. The confusing, dichotomous, rambling and beautifully inefficient fractures of life that- standing alone- might make one wonder about reality. Do you? Ever wonder??

Maybe these words *ARCANUM* are blotted out to most eyes. Or, perhaps, changed by magic. To something.. unknown. It's all been strange since my return. How adventurers vs. average citizens remember the various wars. How people explain it away. Why we blacklist certain adventurers, mostly due to rumor, mostly from a few select core sources.

..that's a good one..

...gossip. What say you? Good, Evil or somewhere in between? I mean.

I know what I think.

Gossip is like Vodak goo.

Almost impossible to get out, to get rid of and to be done with completely.

Who inows? It might still be in your brain, forcing hallucinations, and now it's just become normal.

Reality.

Real. Tea.

Should this installment be subtitled to specifically philosophize on the natures of people? Humanoids? A few specific ones?

Krin, if you're out there, and you're ever reading this: Everybody knows you wore white. Black is not your color. I'm sorry. The truth is out.

...you're not black, man. You were always a white guy. It's going to be okay.

I bet you know who wrote this, but I'm also fairly confident you won't know where I am.

Not precisely now. :)

:) A smiley face was indeed written in. Not the most professional essays, but then again, did libraries judge professionalism? Or did they hoard knowledge? :geek:

I'm probably somewhere beween Cordor and Wharftown. Mmhgnhgugh. Yes, I wrote my grumble. So what? I mean Southport and Mooooonpier.

..I do like Moon added on. Moontown might just soound like mootown for cows, too, and pier for the wharf. Closer to the original than Cetha. Curious.

Not only a change to celestial, but a change of more layers, in addition. That seems like... an intentionally Good move. Adam? Was that you?

Fairchild indeed. Just don't name your daughter Clarity.. or Clary.. or even Mary. Maybe go with a name like Sam for a boy or a girl, isn't that a novel idea?

Gender-fluid Naming for Amia. Another Good thing, but, perhaps started by... well.. me? Whoever I am?

(It's not really a secret. It's just also nobody reads the libraries of Amia like we do, my birdywolves.

Now begone. Go think of lighter topics and perchance- even FOOD? I want a taco.

...tacos are definitely good, and definitely not from this reality. Remind me to write about the Neverones one of these days.

- M.S.