Alignment

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
Vykorsa

Alignment

Post by Vykorsa »

D&D is a game with an alignment system. Characters take actions and they turn good or evil. On Amia an alignment change can be requested and there is a request for RP to support this. My character is a neutral character. He typically has good intentions with even the worse. This is part of his background and who he is. His current path of RP is taking him down a darker path.

For assisting another character in casting a spell he was pushed 30 points and turned evil. By this same token if her were to aid Knight’s Hallow from being dragged into the ocean should he have been pushed 30 points in turning good? Is stopping an evil from hurting another evil either good or evil or choosing the safest path of evil?

My character is not evil, he is starting to take actions which if successful will lead him in merrily into the path of evil with the best of intentions. This will make a fun story. It is a story I don’t get to participate in because assisting someone with a spell has turned my character evil (30-point shift) and that has ruined a lot of fun for me.
Khylaria

Re: Alignment

Post by Khylaria »

It wasn't that single action which pushed him toward evil. It was an accumulation of actions taken over a period of time which did it. We won't discuss the particulars of said actions in public threads (for reasons which should be obvious to you, the player of the character in question), though you can ask for a private explanation.

It may seem to you that the alignment change happened suddenly, and out of nowhere, but that's because of the way the shift was done (one lump sum, rather than a few points here and there). However, that simply isn't the case.
waswar

Post by waswar »

As the caster of that particular spell and a close confidant of the character in question, I will throw in my two cents and say that the situation is rather complicated given how subjective the alignment system is. I think I definitely see the complication seeing as the character in question does indeed have good intentions, but on the other hand, is around rather homicidal groups of people and certain, intrinsically evil influences.

If intentions is the main factor, as it seems that such is what allowed EO styled Paladins to remain good, then I can see how that could be applied here to the character in question, as actions alone would skew a lot of people.
Budly

Post by Budly »

Simply put, doing evil deeds to stop evil, is still evil. It is one track viewpoint but that is how DnD works. But if you keep playing and show these good intentions, I am sure you can slide back over or atleast request it.
Active :
Shelved/Pseudo Shelved/Request only : Budly, Sylveera, Valiandris, Barrililath, Tetrik, Mashaara, Mir'nas
walnutboy

Post by walnutboy »

If I'm reading it right it's more the sudden 30 point jump in one direction? I've done things with Shana which, over time, have had an effect on her neutral alignment but it wasn't a whole sudden 30 point change but several over dm events usually. However, we can't be subjective really on this particular case without knowing all details which, as a dm pointed out, is likely largely a private matter to the character in question.

Actions often have a reaction after all, how severe that reaction is normally comes down to what action was originally taken.
If it's raining, look for Rainbows.
If it's dark, look for stars!
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Khylaria wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 am It wasn't that single action which pushed him toward evil. It was an accumulation of actions taken over a period of time which did it. We won't discuss the particulars of said actions in public threads (for reasons which should be obvious to you, the player of the character in question), though you can ask for a private explanation.

It may seem to you that the alignment change happened suddenly, and out of nowhere, but that's because of the way the shift was done (one lump sum, rather than a few points here and there). However, that simply isn't the case.
It's not really open for public discussion, which is in your favor!
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Cromlech - Protector of Ostland and Wanted Criminal
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.