Howness Quest

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
The Monkey King

Howness Quest

Post by The Monkey King »

I was curious, because my Character is Half-Elven, am I locked out of finishing the Quests? Hrolf and the ljot quest, he tells me I'm not human so I wouldn't understand and cannot complete it. I have done Snorri's Bread quest. I found the kid. I found all the Rune Stones. And The library quest. I think I have found them all. My Character I am Rping that her Father was from Howness but passed away long ago. Was really hoping to finish it all and have the locals like and recognize her by name.
Monkey see Monkey Do
T0mc4t89

Re: Howness Quest

Post by T0mc4t89 »

Yeah non-humans can't do the final quest, as people of Howness ICly do not trust them fully even if they do all the other quests.
Dark Immolation

Post by Dark Immolation »

While it makes sense, that has always been pretty lame. I ran into the same problem with my PC and went as far as requesting a DM to faciliate them attemping the last quest, but it never happened unfortunately. It's a very time intensive line of tasks and it sucks to do all of it, only to be told that you can't complete it right at the very end. I had no idea that quest was still working since the EE move, but if we could fiddle with it, I'd just make it slightly more difficult for a non-human to complete, not impossible.

Again, on one hand it makes sense for the common folk to not totally trust non-humans. But it's also strange when 15+ RL years interaction with said groups seldom seems to change our NPCs opinions on things, at all.
T0mc4t89

Post by T0mc4t89 »

I think it is pretty neat and shows that pcs have to be involved in Howness if they want the opinion of themselves to change to "maximum" one if they are non-humans. Even humans in DM interactions who haven't spent time in Forrstakkr yet have done all the quests are still not fully trusted. It is kinda like Caraigh.
Mechanically non-humans aren't really losing anything else aside the npcs not saying their name when they click them. Instead trying to remember what their name was, which looks a bit funny. You have access to all the stores by that point and nobody is being insulting to you at least.
If any pcs want to increase their general rep among the people as non-humans, then maybe my character can help with that icly. Just shoot me a PM.
Dark Immolation

Post by Dark Immolation »

Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think the quest itself is lame. I think NPCs reacting to your PC differently based on what local quests you've done would be awesome to have in even more places. I mean it's lame how you don't know that you can't finish all the quests as a non-human when you start. Players start doing the quests because they want the NPCs to react well towards their PC, but they don't know that their success has a limit until they've done everything but the last task. No one tells you up front "hey, you'll never be able to fully win these guys over as a elf/halfling/etc" so it feels like a letdown.
GreatPigeon

Post by GreatPigeon »

Dark Immolation wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:01 pm Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think the quest itself is lame. I think NPCs reacting to your PC differently based on what local quests you've done would be awesome to have in even more places. I mean it's lame how you don't know that you can't finish all the quests as a non-human when you start. Players start doing the quests because they want the NPCs to react well towards their PC, but they don't know that their success has a limit until they've done everything but the last task. No one tells you up front "hey, you'll never be able to fully win these guys over as a elf/halfling/etc" so it feels like a letdown.
I like this. Make it clear from the start. Especially from the cleric in the temple who seems to get being an outsider here. "Hey listen <racial word here>. You can try all you want. You'll win some of them over, but you'll never fully win them over. You will never be accepted everywhere or as one of them. My families been here 5 generations. I'm still the new guy when I go to the local tavern and I'm human. Think about that... THINK ABOUT THAT. Oh god, it just shit in the temple again. IN THE TEMPLE. Listen <racial word here>. You seem nice. Ugh you seem nice <Character Name>, but is it really worth it? Is it? Oh not the rug. WHY ON THE CARPET? WHY? Can you see yourself out? I mean OUT. You get it? Ugh..... Sure. let the high priest scrub the rug. FINE THEN"
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

I finished this Quest like six years ago with my Toon Milly. Just redid it the other night, I think I got every quest. Killing Ljot and returning the torn jacket, he said I did not cut the heart out. Did I miss a drop? Or is there a quest I missed? Because the locals still do not know her name.
Imperial Knight of Ireland
E'Milliah Emberwatch follower of Helm the Vigilant One
Milly can run the Mino Maze in under 12 Parsecs
Frozen-ass

Post by Frozen-ass »

howness quests are old and probably wont work properly, its being worked on draging it to the new quest system
T0mc4t89

Post by T0mc4t89 »

They do work, just some of the vendors do not work properly due to the transition. Ulf the White says the Error Message when you try to talk to him and Alf the Black can't be interacted with.
IKoI

Post by IKoI »

Is there a way for a DM to intervene and reward Milly with the quest since she already finished it years ago?
Imperial Knight of Ireland
E'Milliah Emberwatch follower of Helm the Vigilant One
Milly can run the Mino Maze in under 12 Parsecs
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

The old quest system doesn't work anymore, so no. They're going to be changed eventually.
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Ailahra - Servant of Nature
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
T0mc4t89

Post by T0mc4t89 »

Strangely, the quests do seem to still work. At least with the following characters Wilfire and Illiana we did all the quests aside the werewolf one in the house which is indeed race locked and only humans can do it. Not entirely sure what Emberrose' issue is with the final quest. Maybe the werewolf character dropped an item which needs to be taken to the quest giver?

The two vendors Alf the Black and Ulf the White are broken, but I think that's the issue some vendors had elsewhere on Amia when the transition to EE happened, with the shop missing for Ulf the White (he says the error message when asking about it) and also the NPC Alf the Black not responding with anything when clicking him.

If the team wants to remove the system though, then very well. It just looks like it still works(?), just the two vendors do not. Other vendors on Forrstakkr seem to work alright.
Frozen-ass

Post by Frozen-ass »

some parts might seem to work but they dont mechanicaly, as the old quest system is completle borked so it needs to be remade in the new system (or someting difirent)