Reconceptualizing Alrune (the Pale)

Have a concept or need one? Looking for lore to suit an idea? Character concept-related topics here!
Cyristus

Reconceptualizing Alrune (the Pale)

Post by Cyristus »

Long story short, there was a discussion in the Discord and after some objective consideration I've come to the conclusion that my fellow conversationalists were right. I've decided to come up with a neat innovated concept for my Pale Master (PM), Alrune.

Let me explain the precursors,

The Libris Mortis handbook does mention that when a PM picks up Deathless Mastery, their body becomes partially mummified. I don't believe it's a fair trade to miss out on all of the mechanical benefits PnP offers just to get tied down to a PnP example/explanation (disease, poison, sleep effects immunity, etc... in exchange for having to RP the mummified bit during interactions).

I think brushing off Deathless Mastery as a supernatural ability would be acceptable because there are more undead to draw inspiration from than the textbook example about mummification, but let's not go there...

With that said, the player still has a responsibility to make sense about why their PM become crit immune.

So then, specifically concerning my own PM Alrune, I'm proposing I change gears with her a little bit. She's keeping her personality, but she's a growing girl, her body is changing, and she's going to be going down a little bit of a descent.
  • First, she's no longer going to experience natural regeneration. Magical regeneration still makes sense, but she's gonna have to manually bandage and stitch herself back up. 😁 She was a studied physician (max heal skill + physician job) so she knows how to do that and is well practiced. This means she'll almost always be visibly bandaged up and stitched.

Idk if a DM could, but I want to turn her health regeneration off when she rests to better represent that. Be that implemented with a widget or code or whatever, I don't really know that kinda stuff. But I'd like it implemented if possible, because I know I'll get lazy/forget and inevitably walk away with the rest healing 😅
  • Second, she's gonna get pale. As her near-sleepless nights take their toll on her, her skin color is going to pale. This will go hand-in-hand with the first bit since her natural regeneration is stinted. I want to continue to explain that as nearly non-existent blood flow. With that comes poor nutrition delivery and constantly low oxygen.
  • Third, she's almost always going to project a faint stench of death. Between her profession (working with dead things constantly) and her natural regeneration being stripped, NPCs and Player Characters can pick up that aroma if you're really close or have a spectacular sense of smell. Otherwise, she smells of softly floral soap and *body* spray, but is regardlessly still going to look like an accent-prone perpetually-exhausted pigeon.

Some things to note: Alrune became a PM in the Mulhorandi Temple of the Eight (according to the Libris Mortis, to you have to spend 3 days in a tomb/catacomb with undead) and also reveres Anubis. She doesn't worship him, but is enthralled and fascinated. I went with these kinds of changes to try to fit that ancient Egyptian/mummy aesthetic a little bit.

Because of the extent of her gradual descent, I want to make sure this is alright with the DM team and see if my homies think this is a cool idea too 😁

Thoughts?
Last edited by Cyristus on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valydia, the Clueless Cavalier
Alrune, Palemaster of the Wandering Magisterium
Louhi, the Curious Disciple from Calimshan
Jes
I like dragons.

Re: Reconceptualizing Alrune (the Pale)

Post by Jes »

Accent-prone. Heh.

I'm not a DM anymore, but I think that sounds like a good way to look at it for Alrune. The mechanical implementation of rest-healing can't be blocked (and seems a bit too much dev work for such a niche reason), but you can always hurt yourself with the rest menu after resting if you want to get the damage back.
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Ailahra - Servant of Nature
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
Cyristus

Re: Reconceptualizing Alrune (the Pale)

Post by Cyristus »

Jes wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:18 pm ... you can always hurt yourself with the rest menu after resting if you want to get the damage back.
That's what Chef mentioned 😂😂 great minds
Valydia, the Clueless Cavalier
Alrune, Palemaster of the Wandering Magisterium
Louhi, the Curious Disciple from Calimshan