Help with a build

Have an idea for a character build? Need help with character builds? Build-related topics go here!
Rulakh

Help with a build

Post by Rulakh »

Anyone have some tips for a good warlock / sneaku mêlee build?

Im currently going 6 lock / 2 rogue

Thinking about taking up assassin or palemaster
GreatPigeon

Re: Help with a build

Post by GreatPigeon »

Hey Rulakh - It would likely help to know what ability scores currently are. When most people take a sneaky class they want to take 13 levels to get the feats to qualify for epic dodge. But you'll need really high base dex.
You could take assassin as well as rogue but its usually a 1 or other thing. For ass to get epic dodge you need 14 or 18 levels. It gets a bit tight. When doing going PM people want to take at least 10 levels unless dipping for a tiny bit of AC.
You can sneak without epic dodge too.

Warlock is a brand new class and currently not at its final state (I hope). Without epic levels your damage on invocations will lack but you might still be find it useful. Its not really a great melee class by itself because its a 3/4 class without a lot of buffs. If you're pretty set on it you should get at least 16 warlock as this gives a dark invocation called word of changing that will help your ab. You're going to also have some issues with AB regardless as you're mixing 3/4 classes with 1/2 class (if you go PM). Get back to me more with what you're after and I can try to toss more ideas.

There's also a build chat in the discord server and people might be more helpful there.
The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra »

From what I've looked at with Warlock builds, you typically want to go heavy in on the warlock. You need at least 26 levels to get Eldritch mastery, and more levels means more blast damage/spell penetration.
I'd say that 29/1 Warlock/Rogue would be the best build. Though since you already have 2 rogue levels, you might just want to go all in on Warlock and take the last rogue level at L29 or L30.
Taking a palemaster level can be helpful for the +2 AC, but the palemaster levels don't contribute to blast damage, so I wouldn't take more than 4.

Edit to add: Also, a side note: I know it's supposed to in D&D 3.5, but I'm pretty sure that sneak attacks do not apply to warlock eldritch blasts on NWN.
Rulakh

Post by Rulakh »

Thanks for the replies. So far ive gone heavily into lock.

I was going for a mostly mêlee build with some support from warlock buffs.

Leaps and bounds
Dark ones luck
See the unseen.

Playstyle was cast writhing shadows and haste, then proceed to mêlee sneak attack. But yeah, blasts we're hitting way harder than the sneak attacks

RN i am 13 lock/ 3 rogue/ 1 sin. Thinking about asking for a de-level to remove the assassin level.

Stats as they are now:
Str 10
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 20

And then i found out that hideous blow and eldrich glaive werent a thing here.
Should be stated that i have had 0 issues with hitting mobs so far
The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra »

If you're going heavy CHA like you are there, it's probably better to go nearly pure warlock and focus on the blasts. You won't have a viable melee build with only a 14 DEX later on. I did come up with a STR based melee warlock build, though that one's a kind of niche build. CHA will help with the DC of your warlock blasts, so there is that synergy there. That is, if you're going to rebuild. 14 DEX should be enough to hit most things with the touch attacks, though against high touch AC enemies you may need to use something with a DC instead. If you're going CHA heavy though you should have decent DCs though.

29/1 Warlock/Rogue or 27/1/2 Warlock/Palemaster/Rogue would be my recommendation if you wanted to rebuild, though consider palemaster does come with a fair number of RP connotations, even 1 level of it.
Rulakh

Post by Rulakh »

I figured i could boost the dex with +dex brasers and leaps and bounds.

Fully buffed im sitting at

Str 12
Dex 20
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 27

Was planning to focus on dex from here on
charles1810

Post by charles1810 »

Just wanting to point out I updated Warlock info page. Hope it helps it -should- be correct.