New Rogue, aspiring Assassin advice

Have an idea for a character build? Need help with character builds? Build-related topics go here!
pdesbois

New Rogue, aspiring Assassin advice

Post by pdesbois »

I just started this and 1. thing that drew my attention was that Assassin does *not* anmore ryequire Evil alignment. Pls let me know if this changed, I read nothing about it.

Now normally I would take Rogue 10 / Assassin 10. I generally rp her to use only a light xbow (I know Heavy does more dmg), i just cannot fathom a fragile elven beauty carrying a cannon. My question is: would it make such a big difference to put in a few levels of Arbalest (like 2) or even Fighter (4 for Weapon Spec), or for the kind of "patience assassination" roguedoes not matter?

Since Assassins can get True Strike in spellbook, that could trump any cross class BAB benefits, i think.

While we're at it, do Rogues benefits from any XP from disabling/ recovering traps or lockpicking doors/ chests?

many thx!

p

EDIT: also, do "social skills" like Persuade and Charisma have effects in game situations? NWN did a very poor job in any of their campaigns...
Pinkhaml86

Re: New Rogue, aspiring Assassin advice

Post by Pinkhaml86 »

Higher amount of assassin the better.

Viable assassins IG (mechanically) are 18-19 lvls worth.

Assassin has to just be not good. So any neutral or evil will get you assassin access.

From a strictly rp standpoint using a small Xbow honestly 10/10/10 rogue assassin arby could be pretty good. ( remember this server is lvl 30)

Rogues do get xp from traps/locks

Social skills are rp fluf really. No mechanical advantage that I know of. But there are some skills used as pre-reqs for some pristige classes.
Tempest Rayne - "a'lil 'ide an'seek luv?"
pdesbois

Post by pdesbois »

Pinkhaml86 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:05 pm Higher amount of assassin the better.

Viable assassins IG (mechanically) are 18-19 lvls worth.

Assassin has to just be not good. So any neutral or evil will get you assassin access.

From a strictly rp standpoint using a small Xbow honestly 10/10/10 rogue assassin arby could be pretty good. ( remember this server is lvl 30)

Rogues do get xp from traps/locks

Social skills are rp fluf really. No mechanical advantage that I know of. But there are some skills used as pre-reqs for some pristige classes.
Many thanks!

Since I am still learning the ropes, how do I differentiate between an NPC and another Player?
The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra »

I've played a number of assassin builds before, I'd agree you want at least 18 levels to make it worthwhile. Admittedly Arbalest can be a pain to work with (I typically prefer BowMaster, especially on an elf with lower requirements), but you can make it work.

Rogue/Assassin surprisingly doesn't offer a great synergy. They overlap a bit too much, albeit the sneak attack dice is nice. If you're set on going rogue/Assassin/Arbalest however, go 5/8/7 pre-epic, 5/18/7 in epic. That way you get 4 base APR.

Personally, I prefer ranger to rogue when starting because Ranger gets a higher BAB and can still qualify for assassin just as easily. It'd get 2 more BAB on an assassin, though 3d6 less sneak attack dice and less skill points. I'm admittedly fond of the 5/18/7 Ranger/Assassin/Bowmaster combo, it'll get more AB/Damage than the crossbow variant.

Another alternative if you want it is Ranger/Assassin/Shadowdancer, 5/18/7 again. This type of character always runs into risks of being 'jammed' in melee and without a shield, you can get pasted if someone closes with you. Shadowdancer provides you some options to keep your foes off of you while you get in position.
Monk is good for this as well, however monk and elf don't really blend together too well RPwise, plus has alignment restrictions.
pdesbois

Post by pdesbois »

The1Kobra wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm I've played a number of assassin builds before, I'd agree you want at least 18 levels to make it worthwhile. Admittedly Arbalest can be a pain to work with (I typically prefer BowMaster, especially on an elf with lower requirements), but you can make it work.

Rogue/Assassin surprisingly doesn't offer a great synergy. They overlap a bit too much, albeit the sneak attack dice is nice. If you're set on going rogue/Assassin/Arbalest however, go 5/8/7 pre-epic, 5/18/7 in epic. That way you get 4 base APR.

Personally, I prefer ranger to rogue when starting because Ranger gets a higher BAB and can still qualify for assassin just as easily. It'd get 2 more BAB on an assassin, though 3d6 less sneak attack dice and less skill points. I'm admittedly fond of the 5/18/7 Ranger/Assassin/Bowmaster combo, it'll get more AB/Damage than the crossbow variant.

Another alternative if you want it is Ranger/Assassin/Shadowdancer, 5/18/7 again. This type of character always runs into risks of being 'jammed' in melee and without a shield, you can get pasted if someone closes with you. Shadowdancer provides you some options to keep your foes off of you while you get in position.
Monk is good for this as well, however monk and elf don't really blend together too well RPwise, plus has alignment restrictions.
Wow - thx!

at what Assassin levels does one get those spells? Like Improved Invis level 4, does that mean Assassin level 4 or what?
As for Shadowdancer, HiPS is a level 6 feat now? or has that changed?

thx- p.
Pinkhaml86

Post by Pinkhaml86 »

Hips is 6 yes

A good spread is

6 ranger, 7 sd, 17? Assassin?

Kobra is that right? Raven? The dude that TORMENTED ME FOR YEARS
Tempest Rayne - "a'lil 'ide an'seek luv?"
The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra »

The best spread for Ranger/Assassin/SD is 5/18/7. 5/8/7 pre-epic so you get 16 BAB. 18 is when you get an extra assassin bonus feat AND the murder trick, so it's your optimal level.

Assassins on Amia get a spellbook of their own, just be sure to have a 14 or higher INT to cast all of them. I think they get 4th level spells at L8.

Shadowdancers get HIPS at L6. It's a very powerful feature. They also get a shadowjump ability at level 4, which allows some degree of teleportation. It's a handy way to escape a jam.
pdesbois

Post by pdesbois »

The1Kobra wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:10 pm The best spread for Ranger/Assassin/SD is 5/18/7. 5/8/7 pre-epic so you get 16 BAB. 18 is when you get an extra assassin bonus feat AND the murder trick, so it's your optimal level.

Assassins on Amia get a spellbook of their own, just be sure to have a 14 or higher INT to cast all of them. I think they get 4th level spells at L8.

Shadowdancers get HIPS at L6. It's a very powerful feature. They also get a shadowjump ability at level 4, which allows some degree of teleportation. It's a handy way to escape a jam.
"shadowjump " - thx, gonna check this out!