How much UMD is enough UMD

Have an idea for a character build? Need help with character builds? Build-related topics go here!
San

How much UMD is enough UMD

Post by San »

I was wondering actually what is the satanic mechanic for the game to say yay or nay for using scrolls and items etc (for non scrolly types). For future reference :).
San - He's just this guy, y'know
Tannith - Awkward
Tess - Direct and straight to my point
Freaxxshow

Re: How much UMD is enough UMD

Post by Freaxxshow »

15 UMD total is enough to use any and all Scrolls and wands

It counts the bonus/penalty from your Charisma Mod for that magical 15

To use Items and ignore restrictions, the calculation is based on the items Gold Worth which is... Funky
This one's to the mighty sea, mischief, gold and piracy!~
Alcomancer

Post by Alcomancer »

Freax has it right here. Don't go past 15 unless you're trying to use class or alignment restricted items - in which case just max it out because it's very difficult to determine that information.
Gerald Edmund
The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra »

I've found 15 enough for scroll/wand use. You probably want 20-25 if you want to use alignment, class, or race restricted gear though. Alignment restrictions have a higher DC than race restricted gear, which has a higher DC than class restricted gear.

There's less alignment locked gear these days than there used to be, and more alternatives that aren't alignment or race restricted, but there are still a few pieces here and there. (Like a very strong bastard sword that's good only, and a very good caster armor that's evil only)