Emote Discussion?

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
Everblurred

Emote Discussion?

Post by Everblurred »

How do people feel in general about the way Amia uses emoting? Or specific people? You can use me as an example, but if it all becomes about me, I'm going to have to ask a DM to change the name to Estara/Everblurred feedback topic >.>

Optional example:
For example! I like how we changed the color of the text when using * * to indicate emotes! It helps my brain! I wish we did it for a few other things, but of course, we're limited in that kind of scripting as a server.
This actually used to be a topic on the old forums General Discussion boards. I think it took various forms over the years, and there were definitely posts about passive aggressive styles of emoting- or lengthy emoting. I don't think I was ever cited as one of the guilty parties, but then again, I hadn't DMed up until that point and some people might not have felt brave enough to put my name out in General Discussion at those points in time.

I also write much longer emotes on certain characters and as a DM- there's reasons for that, honestly, but I don't really feel the need to share unless people are curious!

I promise I won't bite anyone's head off, even if I've seemed critical of DMs and players in the past, I've never been banned or gone into forum flamewars >.> Please, also, if mentioning others don't start flamewars. I'm genuinely curious how both players AND DMs feel on this.

...yet...

but also!

Remember: We're all here to have fun?!
'Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Dovesong

Re: Emote Discussion?

Post by Dovesong »

Everblurred wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:16 pm How do people feel in general about the way Amia uses emoting? Or specific people? You can use me as an example, but if it all becomes about me, I'm going to have to ask a DM to change the name to Estara/Everblurred feedback topic >.>

Optional example:
For example! I like how we changed the color of the text when using * * to indicate emotes! It helps my brain! I wish we did it for a few other things, but of course, we're limited in that kind of scripting as a server.
This actually used to be a topic on the old forums General Discussion boards. I think it took various forms over the years, and there were definitely posts about passive aggressive styles of emoting- or lengthy emoting. I don't think I was ever cited as one of the guilty parties, but then again, I hadn't DMed up until that point and some people might not have felt brave enough to put my name out in General Discussion at those points in time.

I also write much longer emotes on certain characters and as a DM- there's reasons for that, honestly, but I don't really feel the need to share unless people are curious!

I promise I won't bite anyone's head off, even if I've seemed critical of DMs and players in the past, I've never been banned or gone into forum flamewars >.> Please, also, if mentioning others don't start flamewars. I'm genuinely curious how both players AND DMs feel on this.

...yet...

but also!

Remember: We're all here to have fun?!

The only kind of emotes that bother me personally are first person emotes. I don't much care if you use ** or [], or just denote actual speech with "". First person Bugs Me.
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

Can you show a first person emote as an example? Only because I'm not sure everyone knows what that looks like/what you mean. (I'm not sure I do, but I think I do?)
solariuk

Post by solariuk »

Everblurred wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:45 pm Can you show a first person emote as an example? Only because I'm not sure everyone knows what that looks like/what you mean. (I'm not sure I do, but I think I do?)
Would that be like...

*I put on my Robe and Wizard Hat*

? :D
Characters:
Arno Grimberg
Walden Swift
Zachary Darksoul
Dovesong

Post by Dovesong »

solariuk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 am
Everblurred wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:45 pm Can you show a first person emote as an example? Only because I'm not sure everyone knows what that looks like/what you mean. (I'm not sure I do, but I think I do?)
Would that be like...

*I put on my Robe and Wizard Hat*

? :D
Yup this!
whenwizardswar

Post by whenwizardswar »

Not gonna lie, first person emotes also kind of get to me,

You dont need to tell me "YOU" are putting on your helm or cloak or drawing your sword. Its already YOUR character, it is obviously YOU doing it.

BUT, we have all kinds of shapes and styles here, to each their own.
Amarice-Elaraliel

Post by Amarice-Elaraliel »

I mostly dislike emotes that emote something that shouldn't be an emote and that either try to lure people to meta-game or dish out a subtle insult the other person is forced to acknowledge without the ability to reply/respond without metagaming. Like *thinks that person over there is a dumb twat*.
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

I think if there are real problems with emotes, they will be in that area, as Amarice described. When you're with a DM, it's a bit easier to do emotes like that because sometimes your character's thoughts help to explain what you're doing and why for the benefit of the story, but other players can't respond to that in quite the same way that a DM can. And because this is a text-based medium, it's easy to misinterpret the intent behind such emotes. For example:

*The haughty sun elf looks down her nose, wondering why this piece of trash human is bothering her.*

That may be the way the character thinks, but it is also giving the other player extra information that their character cannot know IC. As a result, it doesn't come off as IC, but rather as an OOC remark that they just have to deal with. The player in question might look at it and think that the extra bit about trash humans just clarifies how arrogant the sun elf looks, or the player might read it like the other player is only adding it in there to tell the other player off for bothering them. Because they can't respond to it as it's not actually presented to them in an IC way allowing for them to respond to it (such as if the character had spoken aloud that the human is trash), it comes off as an OOC comment, and thus an OOC label and complaint. Perhaps a better way to emote the above and remove any misunderstanding in that regard would be something like this:

*The haughty sun elf looks down her nose, sneering with clear disgust on her features.*

With that, it's making it clear that the extra thoughts of disgust are visible, and thus can be responded to. If it's left as a silent thought, it becomes an OOC one-sided message with a sharper OOC tone.

I hope that makes sense!
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Ailahra - Servant of Nature
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
Yimmi

Post by Yimmi »

I agree with Yes, the only time that emoting is really immersion breaking, and even annoying and bording the metagaming is when things like that are emoted.
for example

*Is wondering why he is here wasting his time*
Basic, doesn't help in any sort of RP and, truth be told so it's totally unnecessary.

Other than that I do like our emote system and I praise that it changes colors for easier reading!
-Hjalmarr Arneleif: Skol!

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:49 pm I mostly dislike emotes that emote something that shouldn't be an emote and that either try to lure people to meta-game or dish out a subtle insult the other person is forced to acknowledge without the ability to reply/respond without metagaming. Like *thinks that person over there is a dumb twat*.
Can you give an example of one you've seen, without necessarily calling anyone out? I've never seen the dumb twat one, and I've seen a variety of "subtlety" applied to insult in emoting- I've personally never "insult-emoted" anyone except when the characters had clearly had IC conflict and it added spice to what most could already tell:

"Those two characters dislike one another" (which is not the same as players, IMHO, but sometimes we struggle to tell the difference I think)!

I just think a few examples here would help the server start to understand where in the emote structure it can start to break down in terms of perception and intention. Hopefully I'm making sense! Anyone else, examples?

Yimmi/Jes, I'd also like you two to differentiate between "unnecessary" and "upsetting" - do unnecessary ones in general upset you? Some people call this "fluff" and seem to like it, some do not, etc. Some believe it should depend on characterization I think- or I've heard- and there's really no right or wrong answers here for me >.>

I'm just being curious and nosey? <.< Thanks for everyone who has participated so far! This is going to help me, at the least. <3
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

whenwizardswar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:59 pm Not gonna lie, first person emotes also kind of get to me,

You dont need to tell me "YOU" are putting on your helm or cloak or drawing your sword. Its already YOUR character, it is obviously YOU doing it.

BUT, we have all kinds of shapes and styles here, to each their own.
I think a rule could be formed around first person emoting. I also don't think it has to be like "if you do it on accident, you're banned forever!!"

I personally have never seen people first person emote >.> So Dovesong, etc.- thanks for clarifying- it did seem obvious but I have played so long and haven't seen it that I wanted it to be the clearest possible interpretation LOL
Jes
I like dragons.

Post by Jes »

Everblurred wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 pm Yimmi/Jes, I'd also like you two to differentiate between "unnecessary" and "upsetting" - do unnecessary ones in general upset you? Some people call this "fluff" and seem to like it, some do not, etc. Some believe it should depend on characterization I think- or I've heard- and there's really no right or wrong answers here for me >.>
I did not use the word "unnecessary" in my explanation. Was my example and explanation not clear, though?
Moonseer Sui'Aerl Valis - Guardian of Moonpier
Ailahra - Servant of Nature
---
Also seen as [DM] Hlal or [DM] Dragonlady.
charles1810

Post by charles1810 »

I rather us not tell people how they can or should roleplay. Each to their own if no one is harming anyone it doesn't matter. If you are being a ass to be a ass stop it, if you feel your offended by reading someones emotes either screenie it send to a dm if its drastic. Please don't use specific examples of people doing things publicly that offend you take it to a dm this is not the place for that.
Suhjet

Post by Suhjet »

I may be biased, but for most of my life, I have used *[emote]* to... emote whatever it is I'm doing. I may even say "[thing]," *she says [adjectively]* like you might find in a traditional book. First-person emoting is different, but it also comes off as pretentious in my experience. I think making the * * emotes a different color is a great idea to differentiate regular speech from action. I know there are people who still just type out in standard chat all their emotes in addition to their speech, but it's just something you have to pick up on. It doesn't really bother me.
Melsa
Loedn, the Stranger
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

Jes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 pm
Everblurred wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 pm Yimmi/Jes, I'd also like you two to differentiate between "unnecessary" and "upsetting" - do unnecessary ones in general upset you? Some people call this "fluff" and seem to like it, some do not, etc. Some believe it should depend on characterization I think- or I've heard- and there's really no right or wrong answers here for me >.>
I did not use the word "unnecessary" in my explanation. Was my example and explanation not clear, though?
It was just because Yimmi quoted you and I've seen you use unnecessary as a descriptive word regarding emotes before? Your explanation is enough if you want it to be. I'm just being curious, NBD. Best,
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I don't understand the point of this topic. Is this topic an attempt to change the way emotes are made, or discuss how emotes are made, or something else? I've seen many different ways or roleplay. some ranging from not interacting to full on interactions. I have noticed however a lot of players aren't engaged, especially when sitting in the wave and serpent. As for style, as long as its readable, why care?
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

To discuss all of what you asked and more, Gentleman, but not to rile any feathers >.> I'm not sure what has people feeling upset when it's just been example of emotes that I'm curious about whether they're bothering anyone or for any particular reason, and I've requested repeatedly to leave specifics out of it unless people are offering commentary themselves, etc. -> therefore I feel it's all good to continue for those who were curious?

For example I learned people do actually use first person emoting and I've personally not witnessed it I'm pretty sure :D
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Personally, if the "first person emoting" is providing content, I'm personally fine with it. There's many ways emotes are done and being critical just because it doesn't conform I personally think instead we should consider "Is the emote provide something that allows players not only to engage, but also provide the players with the freedom to do as they please with the emote.
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

I think whatever direction the conversation takes is alright, as long as its respectful and isn't intended to slight anyone or their specific emoting style. I didn't even criticize first person emoting, but I do think the people who brought it up have fair points. They already know who it is meant for and it seems jarring comparatively to the large majority of emoting which is third person, considering I've not even seen the opposite, and I've played here longer than almost anyone except tres mamcitas. Regardless, thanks to you for your feedback as well- and charles- and if people want to close the thread I'm not going to be confrontational. I was honestly just curious about the perceptions of people around emoting and emote styles, fluff, etc. <3
Everblurred

Post by Everblurred »

Seeing as others didn't respond and I've had some time away, is there any desire from anyone to continue this conversation?

I'd just like to add a few questions if anyone feels inclined to answer:

- When you dislike someone OOCly, how do you choose to respond to them ICly? Is it different than you normally would/does that bother you?

- When you LIKE someone OOCly, how do you choose to respond to them ICly? Is it different than you normally would/does that bother you?

- When neutral, how do you tend? To initiate RP, to sit back and relax? Does this involve any (what I call) "heavy emoting" as in, environmental effects or observations about character?

- If you were DMing or GSTing, would these change? (They did for me!)

Thanks for welcoming me back (ish). Happy Lunar New Year! Emote away.