If you have a nice custom portrait and you want everyone else to see it in-game, or you want to add a bit more of a face to your character, send me your portrait files.
Using an image editor of your choice that supports the Targa (.tga) format, create a new blank image 256 x 512 pixels in dimension. Example software includes Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro.
Only the top portion of the image is displayed in the game, so that the actual size of your portrait is 256 x 400 pixels. The bottom portion of the image MUST be blank and unused. If it is not blank, your computer will light on fire and explode when you try to save your game -- er, well, or it might just crash.
Areas of the image:
canvas is the entire image
portrait is the area used by the game
blank is the unused area (but required)
You can also download the files I created here (link). These are blank canvases, broken into two size types. Put your image into the "Template" versions to ensure the proper size, then open the "Final" versions and copy/paste the images into the larger canvases, aligned to the top. Leave the bottoms blank white, or you may experience game crashes. Then you can flatten the images and save them as described below. You will need WinZip/7zip to unzip these files.
Create your custom portrait, whatever it may be, in the "Template_h" file. Remember, even though the total size of the canvas in the "Final_h" version is 256 x 512 pixels, only use the top 256 x 400 pixels as diagrammed in the "Template_h" file.
Now you need to create five versions of the portrait for the game to use. Just open the rest of the Template/Final file versions to customize the look of the various sizes.
If you didn't download my files, the dimensions of the five versions needed are:
256x400 (on a 256x512 canvas) - _H, used for the Player Character Bio
128x200 (on a 128x256 canvas) - _L, used for the character sheet
64x100 (on a 64x128 canvas) - _M, used for the in-game portrait
32x50 (on a 32x64 canvas) - _S, used for the party members and radial menu
16x25 (on a 16x32 canvas) - _T, used for the chat thumbnail
You must save the images as Targa (.tga) files, (selecting the '24 bits' and 'uncompressed' options of your software). Compressed Targa files will not work in NWN. The filenames for the five versions must follow this pattern:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_h.tga (for the 256x512 canvas)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_l.tga (for the 128x256 canvas)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_m.tga (for the 64x128 canvas)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_s.tga (for the 32x64 canvas)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_t.tga (for the 16x32 canvas)
Where the prefix "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" is a name you create, is 1 to 15 characters in length, and the same for all five versions.
The 'h', 'l', 'm' ,'s', and 't' that follows the prefix indicates the size of the image (Huge, Large, Medium, Small, and Tiny).
As you can see, my example files all have the same prefix of "Illunameryx_" (since it is 12 characters in total, it follows the rule of being between 1 to 15 characters), and I also have each of the five versions - 'h', 'l', 'm' ,'s', and 't'.
Once you have either created your portrait, or downloaded one, you can use it in the game.
Place the simple .jpg file of the image you'd like made into a portrait into your portrait folder without converting anything (ie. Illunamaeryx_.jpg). Boot up NWN, and at the main screen, bring up the console with the ~ key. Then type:
But with the name of your own file instead of Illunamaeryx_. NWN will then automatically resize and make 5 proper correct working copies of your picture. Make sure that you include all text in front of the image file extension (.jpg).
2. Send to my Email:
You will receive a confirmation auto-response, usually within a few minutes. (Check your junk folder in case it doesn't like me.)
3. Wait until I release my next portrait pack. This will be on the 1st or the 15th of the next or current month, depending on if I get any portrait entries.
1. You can now change your portraits in the Character Modification room in the entry. Just speak to the Portrait Changer NPC and follow the prompts to enter the portrait name. Include everything in front of the h/l/m/s/t modifier. If your file name is Illunameryx_h.tga, then enter "Illunamaeryx_" when prompted. If it's Illunamaeryxh.tga, then enter "Illunamaeryx" instead. Don't add the h/l/m/s/t suffix or .tga extension.
2. The file name needs to be shorter than 15 symbols in front of the file extension (.tga), of which one has to be the correct suffix (h/l/m/s/t).
3. Send the files in zip format. Rar or 7zip are also okay.
4. Please have the subject of the mail as [Amia] Portrait of CharacterName. Then I can make a list with every updated portrait more easily.
5. Put your own portrait in the Portraits folder, but put the portraits from this Portrait Pack in the Override folder. Both will allow you to see the portrait ingame, but putting the large pack into the Portraits folder shows them all into character creation, which will cause NWN to crash or to load the portrait selection screen extremely slowly.
6. If you want me to remove a portrait from the pack, PM me with the reason and I'll follow common-sense-due-process!
7. If your portrait is missing, PM me, and I can try to see where it got lost. This also is true with the transition from Robbi to me. If your portrait suddenly is not showing, please tell me and I'll see what I can do.
8. I won't accept watermarks on images. Generally speaking, it's crappy to add watermarks unless you actually own the artwork (self-drawn or commissioned). If you just found an image on DeviantArt or Instagram, then anyone else could find that image, too, and use it. Might as well make things simple and just let them use "your" version. Exception: You commissioned or drew the artwork specifically for your character. If you want a watermark on these, just mention that this is the case in your email and I won't auto-boot it.
9. Use Waiver: Partly because of point 8, I will not take any responsibility for or police use if someone else uses your portrait. This is a public portrait pack. By submitting to it, you are making it publicly available to download and use by anyone. This isn't something that happens often, but don't be shocked if someone else is using one you put together. If anything, it's a compliment to your taste.
10. Keep the portraits safe for work and within the rules of Amia. I will look at all pictures you send me, and I will remove any pictures that break Amia forum posting rules. Cleavage - Yes; Nudity - No. Same goes with gore/torture.
11. I will update as needed, depending on when I receive submissions. Look for updates on the 1st or 15th of the month. I'm only keeping archives of the latest 3 packs, since I'm hosting these files on my own server for ease. We really shouldn't need more than that, anyway.
June 2020 Full
July 2020 Full
August 2020 Full
June 2020 Add-On
July 2020 Add-On
August 2020 Add-On