A Couple Comments From An Old Returning Player

For all general, Amia-related discussions.
Tam

A Couple Comments From An Old Returning Player

Post by Tam »

Many of you will be aware that I recently began rebuilding my old drow faction of many years ago with both old and new players.

In the process of doing so I have a couple comments I'd like to share.

Massive NPC Fire Support:
One thing that bothers me is that certain players have ultra powerful NPCs implied to be nearly in their pocket; you harm them, the NPCs will RUIN YOU. Well that is all fine and good for Lore purposes, it also creates a situation where people begin in character to justify their decision nearly exclusively on what NPCs are backing who. Sure you say, work away to change who those NPCs support, and I personally don't mind doing that but several players have mentioned to me ooc that they find the situation rigged against new players working to make their own impact.

For example I don't mind at all being told if I attack player X, I may get reprisals from players A, B, C, D, etc. But I'd prefer if it wasn't a case of some implied threat of a 40th level NPC coming and god moding me or mine because I tried to shake up the RP on the server.

Kickass DM Support and Events:
I've had multiple DM interactions, been given more dream coins than I probably earned and been spontaneously pulled into great big dramas that scared the shit out of me (kudos esp to The Rogue). I'd like to say how much all of this enriches and enhances the whole experience and gives a real living breathing feeling to the whole setting.

I've had my character both moved to EE and a small rebuild after an error of mine done in quick and friendly fashion. I really can't say enough how nice this is. I won't speak ill of other servers, but Amia was always a special place for good reason.
Budly

Re: A Couple Comments From An Old Returning Player

Post by Budly »

If there is PCs that can call forward powerful NPCs on Amia to do their biding, I would say that is extremely problematic.

But it is good to see you're back on Amia and feel it been an awesome time! Been missing you while you been gone!
Active :
Shelved/Pseudo Shelved/Request only : Budly, Sylveera, Valiandris, Barrililath, Tetrik, Mashaara, Mir'nas
Destinysdesire

Post by Destinysdesire »

Having played a faction leader on another server where the DMs permitted me to have NPCs at my call, and trusted to use them discreetly, yes I did threaten them...but without a DM, it was a moot point honestly. I might be able at any time to control one NPC. One can still be fairly crushed.
Tempurian

Post by Tempurian »

Never heard nor seen this NPC scenario mentioned here, sure... Some PC's have built connections that give them some form of power through NPC's, but that is very DM reliant. So doesn't really add any extra level of threat. If the PC's imply that in IC, so what? Doesn't actually mean anything else than the character believes so and it might be true or it might be false. Just go and shake the server and see what happens. I would say that if the PC implies in IC, deal with it in IC. Because the OOC truth might be very different. Consider it a poker game, sometimes you have to call the bluff and see if it is actually true.

Secondly, powerful NPC's are not at the whim of PC's bidding. If the PC's is constantly causing them more trouble than it is worth, I can easily imagine the backing going out. And if they have that kind of scenario, good for them! They have done something to actually earn it in IC.

Personally, if I would be targeting a PC say with an assassin and they have NPC support, would just add to the experience and means I would need to plan few more steps and contingency scenarios. I would not start take it as an OOC problem, it is part of the roleplay.
Hrafingar

Post by Hrafingar »

If you attack a player belonging to a faction, expect a faction response. Action and consequence, as they say. But I've not seen people using NPC support as a way to threaten people. But then again, I dont know half of the PCs going around. So I can only speak for myself.
Alcomancer

Post by Alcomancer »

Honestly NPCs don't really get involved in pvp. You're just not allowed to pvp in areas inhabited with NPCs without DM oversight. If you're attacking someone where there are guards, sure they'll get involved but that's more of an issue with the way settlements work. The reason most people can't be attacked is that they're rarely if ever encountered in areas where there are not guards who will interfere. Generally, any overpowered settlement NPCs are reserved for use exclusively inside of those settlements with rare exceptions, and those NPCs (such as the tarkuul ones in specific) don't get involved in random grudges the PCs have. They tend to be the NPCs in charge.

I only have my example of NPCs to give of course but if you examine the dynamics of Tarkuul, Gerald has delusions of grandeur while also having to tolerate a lot of more powerful NPCs who could very easily kill him. He can't really order them around but he might be able to ask favors of them, but they won't generally go killing PCs just because my character is scared of them or because they did something to make him feel threatened.

Sal'dock, as an example, would much rather kill Gerald but is mostly restrained by another force. He does not have to do anything Gerald says and is only helpful when ordered to be by his handler.

Anyway, I realize Tam is likely not talking about my spot on the server but I think it's an example of the rule of NPCs on amia and how they tend to fit in/are being used by DMs. I could be wrong but they've always struck me as more of a tool to push the plot forward and never a bludgeon to pvp people with.
Gerald Edmund
Astrudai

Post by Astrudai »

Another note, fwiw:

Sometimes I might absently involve an NPC in my roleplay, but it's important to note that it doesn't imply the NPC does exactly as told. There's a difference between involving and controlling.

For instance, my character is a figure of authority in the Three Steps Academy, so in my roleplay, I might toss a line of dialogue to an NPC student like, "Hey, could you turn these books in to the library with your own, please? Thanks." It's just a fun way of showing my character's influence in that place without having to go into the formalities of titles, but it doesn't actually give any action to the NPC, nor does it put words into their mouth. The day may come when a DM is around and decides that particular student is feeling rebellious and throws the books back at my character. Who knows?

Point being, implied power or influence doesn't necessarily mean the NPCs will comply. A PC may even be in a position to threaten another PC with faction NPCs, but ultimately, such a threat is completely empty without a DM. PC 1 might say to PC 2, "I'll send the 100,000 guards under my command to kill you in your sleep tonight," but who's to say a DM wouldn't make those guards be like, "Wait what? This isn't what we signed up for, you're a terrible person," and quit?

As far as IC, just play your character normally. If they'd be scared by such a threat, they're scared. If not, that's cool too. All I'm saying is, from an OOC perspective, don't worry about it too much. NPCs are not under PC control. :)
Ialé Lunathiliir
"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars."

My Discord tag is Astrudai#0321. Feel free to ping me!
Madam_Jingles

Post by Madam_Jingles »

I've never seen NPCs like that used as a threat either, just the usual ruling of 'Don't meta the guards' that's been around for years and years.
I RP towards NPCs all the time, sure, especially when it comes to either my Three Steps instructor or when Luckii was a Corporal, but with no DM there, they're not ACTUALLY gonna do anything mechanically, and it's never a 'Go gank this person' type thing, moreso along the lines of what Iale stated.

I'd say if someone is trying to lord NPCs over your character like that, to bring it up to them and talk about it calmly. Failing that, reach out to the DM team to peacefully mediate. :)
Unlike cheap lasagna, Amia is 100% horse free! Nevermind.